Gateway Over heating & shutting down

Solved/Closed
Jed - Dec 30, 2008 at 09:42 AM
 Greeny15390 - May 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Hello,
I have a Gateway M675 that over heats and shuts down. I took it to a repair shop and they took out one of my 512 ram chips and replaced it with a 64 ram chip. I did have 2 - 512 ram chips. I was told that this was the cause of the over heating. Should I just replace the 512 and 64 with 1 gyg chip? Can ram really cause over heating??

J
Related:

4 responses

It is a Common problem wth 17" screens in Gateway the solution is to make sure all cooling fans are working and I found that addin a 400 volt heatsinkcompund on the cpu and heatsink and northbridge chip (Requires taking the Laptop apart) cools down the systm and ups the preformance without any more shutdowns becuse of better heat conductivity
I have a Gateway 2614u. I have found that getting it up off of a table or desk will keep it cool enough to run it for a slightly longer time without it over heating.

Personally I see it as a design flaw personally, at least on the larger laptops. I had a HP that was a 14 inch and I could run it and run it and run it and it rarely got too hot. My 17 inch Gateway I can run it for a few hours, and I have to give it a break or it shuts down.

I believe the flaw is in the design of the battery and where it is located. HP batteries sit farther away from the processor where the GATEWAY/ACER sits closer to the processor and close to the fan making the heat less likely to be blown out.

I got this laptop about 1 year and a half ago, and I am going to have to replace it already....I don't believe I will be buying another Gateway any time soon.
(A) Make sure there's a gap between the bottom of the laptop and the surface it's on. The first thing I do it take some packing tape and tape down the little feet on the underside. Using an after market laptop desk or even a cardboard box helps.
(B) Clean the fan and ducts cooling the microprocessor. Get rid of anything blocking air flow. A Radio Shack dust-off sprayer works well.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Dec 30, 2008 at 02:02 PM
If you have ever taken a laptop apart then you will have seen that on most laptops
the cooling fan draws in air via a grill and then blows this air around the
CPU and exhausts to the outside world again. This air is NOT circulated
around the rest of laptop case to dissipate heat.

What did they charge you for the surplus (read junk) 64 MB memory card. I would try to get
my money back since it's of little or no use. Try to elevate the laptop and see if you can buy a cooler pad
with built-in fans (does that laptop have a 17inch screen?)

I would check your PC specs to see if a 1 GB card will work or go online and use a memory configuration site. Good Luck.
I always level it and it doesn't help! But this guy is gonna try to fix so I will tell u guys what happens