No sound on TV through laptop

Solved/Closed
Naz - Updated on Nov 12, 2018 at 12:52 AM
 Ta - Jul 9, 2017 at 11:43 AM
Hi, I am wondering whether anyone can help. I have plugged a vga cable from my hp latop into my television which is fine and transmits the picture. However, when I have tried to put an RCA cable from my laptop in to my television (via a phono convertor) the sound still comes out of my laptop and not the tv speakers. Can any one help. Thanks in Advnace.
Naz
Related:

11 responses

Computers have two separate systems - one for video and one for sound.

The only computer (or laptop) connection that carries both video and sound is HDMI. If you do not have a HDMI/DVI connector on the back of your computer, then you will have to use the VGA-composite or s-video connectors to display your PC's output on an external monitor like an LCD TV.

On both my HP and Dell laptops the display settings (Start/Control Panel/Personalize/Display Settings) allow two modes - single or dual monitor mode. Single monitor mode allows me to switch between any one of three possible video outputs - VGA-composite, S-Video or laptop screen, or a split-desktop (display spread over two seperate monitors). Dual monitor mode allows the same display on any two of three possible video outputs.

Switching is performed using the fn keys on the keyboard (fn key plus the F2, F8, etc. function key with the display marking). You guys use single monitor mode until you figure out what your are doing. Select VGA-composite or S-Video.

Non-HDMI sound to your TV monitor or sound system must be obtained from your laptop's Headphone or S/PDIF jacks. Headphone is stereo and S/PDIF is 5.1 surround sound. Headphone is electrical, but S/PDIF may be electrical or optical (laser light). You must set the sound jack that you intend to use as the default on the PC control panel (Start/Control Panel/Sound).

None of these connectors is two-way in the context of an LCD monitor - your PC cannot record a TV picture or sound from the external monitor. To accomplish this you must purchase a video converter box that converts cable TV or video+sound inputs to USB format usable by your laptop. Do this and you can turn your laptop into a Tivo recorder/DVD burner using Beyond TV, Sage TV or a variety of other software packages.
Thanks buddy, you put it all in one, I've bee looking for that! Clear and concise! That Hot! Thanks for taking your time out to post your reply!
Shell Bell
jeannietmann@gmail.com Posts 2 Registration date Monday December 7, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 8, 2009
Dec 8, 2009 at 02:56 PM
so..... s-video out of laptop into component in tv.
what cable would I use to go out the headphones from the computer into where in the tv?

is that trapezoid with the 15 holes (but no screw holes on the sides) the vga port?
does a cable exist that could go out the laptop into the component (yellow, white, red)?
would I then be able to watch and listen to movies on the tv?