Ask a question Report

My HP laptop has black screen and wont start! [Solved/Closed]

frustrated with HP - Latest answer on Jun 6, 2013 02:41AM
Hey everyone,
I have had this HP Pavillion DV6408nr since 2007. It runs Vista home premium. There is a bunch of stuff wrong with it (power cord semi-broken, input for power cord semi-broken, wireless card broken - little blue light doesnt come on when i turn the wireless on and I have no wireless signal.) but I have been able to get by until now.
I recently removed the original two 512mb of ram and replaced them with two 1 gb chips of ram. Everything was fine. My fiancee' bought me starcraft 2 for christmas and I tried to run it on my laptop. I had to update windows and such but it still wouldnt work because my video card is outdated (darn). Anyways, I turned off my laptop the other day and when I went to boot it up a few hours later the screen wont turn on.
When I turn on the laptop, the lights turn on and I hear a fan kick on and off and then the screen just stars dark. After about 10-15 seconds, all the keys turn off (as if the computer was off) for about a second and then turn back on. A fan will sometimes kick on for about 2 seconds but thats about it. The computer will repeat this wierd behavior a few more times until I am so frustrated I just hold the power button and it turns off. I have tried a few random procedures I read on the net (holding graphics card, or unplugging power and holding power button for 45 seconds etc.) but I have had no luck.
Can someone please help me!!!
Read more 

moins plus

Try this 1

Unplug the power --> remove the battery --> Hold the power button for 60

seconds --> Connect the power supply then try to switch ON the laptop and later

put the battery back into the laptop.

Good Luck

qqqqqq- Jan 19, 2011 09:44PM
does it taking time? because i have been leaving my lappy for half an hour, and still no show. please help! :)
frustrated with HP- Jan 31, 2011 03:44PM
This isnt going to do anything with my files on the hard drive will it? Because I was reading somewhere that pressing F5 or something like that during the bootup just resets everything and erases all of your information and puts the computer back like it is brand new.
gomeztexas- Jun 21, 2011 10:09AM
This worked on mine thanks...i didn't have to press the power button.
J- Apr 9, 2013 06:37PM
It worked! You're a genius!
vida- Jun 6, 2013 02:41AM
i do these,but my screen is black and the capslock & end botton flashing,pleas help me
moins plus
do any sounds or beeps come out of the computer? perhaps its a combination of these problems and the motherboard fried..HP's DV series mouth the graphics card on the motherboard, so the graphics card obviously gets hot, enevtually it cooks the motherboard..i had the same problem on my DV2000...try getting the components replaces, but this will be expensive...personally, i'd just get a new computer..good luck

frustrated with HP- Dec 30, 2010 10:11AM
No I dont hear any sounds or beeps. It just turns on and sometimes I will hear the fan go for a second or two. Thats about it though. Yeah I need to get a new computer anyways, I just have years worth of stuff on it that I need still
vista.ultimate.64 215Posts Sunday October 3, 2010Registration date October 18, 2013 Last seen - Dec 30, 2010 10:55AM
sorry, in my last post i meant MOUNT instead of MOUTH...what you could do in the case of getting a new computer is to remove the hard drive and connect it to your new computer. all your data should be there, so unless your hard drive is damaged, it should be recoverable..any luck with bionik's method? have you looked at the troubleshooting in your manual or contacted your computer dealer?
frustrated with HP- Jan 1, 2011 03:21PM
I tried bionik's method but nothing happened. Yeah, I will most likely get a new computer and just take the hard drive out and transfer the data to the new computer. I havent contacted the computer dealer yet. I will have to do that soon. I will most likely just buy a new computer though instead of spending a few hundred bucks repairing an old laptop.
Thank you for all the help though
vista.ultimate.64 215Posts Sunday October 3, 2010Registration date October 18, 2013 Last seen - Jan 4, 2011 07:46AM
Alright, yeah that would be a better idea. But you should avoid HP's as they very often have booting errors such as yours at the motherboards cooling system is terrible. No trouble at all, and best of luck with transferring the data.
This document entitled « My HP laptop has black screen and wont start! » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.