Dell Inspirion 1525 computer w/black screen

Closed
srhargraves Posts 6 Registration date Sunday January 2, 2011 Status Member Last seen January 2, 2011 - Jan 2, 2011 at 02:00 AM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Jan 10, 2011 at 07:27 AM
Hello,

I left a usb cable from my IPhone plugged into my dell computer with Windows XP and turned my computer off. When I turned my computer back on the usb cable was still plugged in and my computer now goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left hand corner. Can you please help me get this fixed as I am a college student taking on-line classes and really need my computer. Thanks in advance for your help.
Related:

8 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jan 2, 2011 at 02:21 AM
Hello,

Try this 1

Remove the USB cable.

Unplug the power cord --> Remove the battery --> Hold the power button for 60

seconds --> Connect the power supply then try to switch ON the laptop and later

put the battery back into the laptop.

Good Luck
srhargraves Posts 6 Registration date Sunday January 2, 2011 Status Member Last seen January 2, 2011
Jan 2, 2011 at 05:49 AM
I tried this and it doesn't do a thing. I am still at a blank screen with a blinking cursor at the top left. I can't even get to the screen where I can load the computer in safe mode. Everything is just a blank black screen with the blinking cursor.
Anonymous User
Jan 2, 2011 at 06:05 AM
Hello,

Try this:

1) When you switch ON your computer, start tapping the "F8" key to get

"Windows Advanced Options"( if boot menu appears, press "Esc" key and keep

tapping the F8 key)

2) Select "Safe Mode"

3) Go to Control Panel -> Backup and Restore -> Recover system settings or your computer -> Open System Restore -> follow the wizard to restore the system to the state before the issue occurred

Regards!
srhargraves Posts 6 Registration date Sunday January 2, 2011 Status Member Last seen January 2, 2011
Jan 2, 2011 at 05:33 PM
We've tried this...we tap on the F8 so much it finally just beeps back at us and never do get to the menu with safe mode...If I could get to safe mode I could fix the computer...just can't get to safe mode...Any other suggestions??
Anonymous User
Jan 2, 2011 at 05:46 PM
Can you hear the logon sound?

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Jan 2, 2011 at 05:52 PM
no, we can't hear anything until we have hit F8 too many times and then it beeps. This is my son's computer and he left the usb cable from his IPhone plugged in and turned his computer off and then turned it back on with the USB cord still plugged in and the black screen is all we get. I can hit F12 and go to some kind of menu but nothing on it has safe mode....it does say something about the HDD...I am a DSL tech myself and if I can ever get to safe mode I can get it up and going...just can't get to safe mode..I don't even hear the windows "music" when it comes on...we turn it on and it goes straight to a black screen with the cursor in the top left...
Jan 2, 2011 at 05:53 PM
I have to go to work so I will check back here a little later to see if there are any other suggestions...thanks for your help...
Anonymous User
Jan 2, 2011 at 06:13 PM
Try this 1

Try removing the RAM. Follow below instructions carefully
Remove the power adapter --> Battery --> Also remove the RAM ---> Turn your laptop upside down --> Hold the power button for 5 mins to remove static electricity --> Leave the laptop for 30 mins ---> Later put the RAM back into the slot properly --> Plug the AC adapter --> Switch ON your laptop. When the desktop appears --> Go to control panel --> power option --> There you can find the option "When I close the lid", select the option "Do Nothing" from the drop-down menu --> Click on OK --> Shutdown you laptop and now check if you are able to turn ON the laptop again without any problem. Later put the battery back into the laptop.

Good Luck and let me know of te situation!
Jan 2, 2011 at 09:37 PM
you got me on that one....don't know where the RAM is...I guess that is the memory....I'll see if I can locate it and try that....I'll let you know...may not be until tomorrow...thanks...
Anonymous User
Jan 3, 2011 at 07:14 AM
Yeah the RAM is the Memory.
In some computers, you can see behind a specially dedicated box for the Ram, there is usually a sign that show is over there need to open and remove the Ram
For laptop problem.
1) Unconnect any power cord and remove battery from back of the computer.
2) Press/Hold Power button for 15/20 seconds.
3) Reinsert battery and turn on computer.
4)After in boots up. Restart Computer
5) You should be good to go.
sorry...already tried this...doesn't work...
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jan 10, 2011 at 07:27 AM
Hello,
Do you have Windows XP CD?
Good Luck