Excel interface with the real world

Closed
Adrain Posts 2 Registration date Sunday January 4, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 5, 2009 - Jan 5, 2009 at 12:36 PM
Adrain Posts 2 Registration date Sunday January 4, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 5, 2009 - Jan 5, 2009 at 12:42 PM
Hello,
I want to interface an Excel spreadsheet with the real world. For instance, in it's simplest form, I would like to enter a number in a cell in a spreadsheet and have this sent to another application running on my PC, and to read a number from this application into another cell in the spreadsheet. Eventually I would like to extend this so that I can have an external hardware device connected to the PC reading status lines (1 or 0) and a few analogue inputs, and outputting status and Analogue (i.e. A/D) signals. By running a macro in the spreadsheet, combined with ordinary formulae, I foresee the possibility to buld custom measurement and control applications in the laboratory, without the need for complex programming for each application.
Related:

1 response

Adrain Posts 2 Registration date Sunday January 4, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 5, 2009
Jan 5, 2009 at 12:42 PM
Sorry, I didn't finish my message, somehow it submitted itself!

I wanted to finish by saying that I believe it is possible to interface Excel using something called Microsoft Automation, but its seems complex and I'm sure other people must have wanted to do something similar, so I am hoping there is example software somewhere in the public domain.

Most grateful for any suggestions and ideas

Kind regards

Adrain