Explorer.exe doesn't start

Closed
rathian Posts 10 Registration date Sunday January 30, 2011 Status Member Last seen January 31, 2011 - Jan 30, 2011 at 12:00 AM
 Cindee - Oct 24, 2011 at 11:30 AM
Hello,

Today I was installing .net framework and lastly internet explorer 7 since some other software required it. Initially the install of internet explorer got stuck so I retried. This time it did install and I restarted my laptop. When it was starting up windows xp sp3 it got stuck at start up and only showing my wallpaper. Also for a brief moment it showed a 'personalize settings' frame in the top left corner. When I went to the task manager (the only thing I seem to be able to access) it showed that explorer.exe wasn't running. Trying to run it manually didn't work, nor does starting up windows with the last known working configurations. When I go into safemode a message pops up asking me whether I want to be in safe mode or restore my settings. Every time I select 'yes' it pops up again and closes all my opened windows. Also my harddrive has been faulty for a while giving i/o device errors now and then.

Furthermore I can't restore my windows xp installation as I don't have a recovery disk. I hope anyone can tell me what's going on with my laptop, or better yet, what I can do to get it to work normally again.

Thanks in advance
Related:

8 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jan 30, 2011 at 01:49 PM
Hello,

Try this 1

Go to "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" and enter the below commands.

cd\ and press Enter. Now your prompt changes to C:\>

cd windows and press Enter. Now your prompt changes to C:\Windows>

ren explorer.exe explorer1.exe and press Enter

[Note: If it says explorer.exe file not found, continue with the next steps]

cd system32\dllcache and press Enter. Now the prompt changes to

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache>

copy explorer.exe c:\windows --> Press Enter

[ 1 file(s) copied message should appear ]

cd\ --> Now your prompt changes to C:\>

start explorer.exe ---> Press Enter.

Good Luck
Thank you so much!!! I have tried numerous ways to get explorer.exe to work and your solution was the only one that did work! I have had this problem before but I downloaded AVG and it fixed it...this was after I had a so-called IT genius looked at my computer for 2 hours and he said it was not repairable and that I would have to reload windows all over again, I didn't want to take that route so I downloaded AVG and fixed it myself. Since my free trial of AVG ended, I couldn't use it again to fix it a second time. I was so frustrated that I spent $30 on software, SpeedMax PC that said it would fix the problem and it didn't-I want a refund!!! I was about to just go out and buy a new computer later today if I couldn't get this problem fixed. I am extremely happy that I got this fixed-again! I plan on saving your instructions just in case my explorer.exe file goes corrupt again. Thanks again!
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jan 30, 2011 at 03:56 AM
Hello,
Let me know if you able to boot into safe mode with command prompt.
Good Luck
Jan 30, 2011 at 01:18 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
Go to safe mode with command prompt and try system restore.
Enter the below command in the command prompt.
cd\ ----> Press Enter. Now your command prompt changes to C:\>
cd windows/system32/restore --> Press Enter. Now your command prompt changes to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore>
rstrui.exe --> Press Enter. Now "System Restore" window will be opened. Now try to restore your PC.
Good Luck
rathian Posts 10 Registration date Sunday January 30, 2011 Status Member Last seen January 31, 2011
Jan 30, 2011 at 01:39 PM
Thank you for the reply,

When I try to run rstrui.exe it gives me the following message 'System restore has been turned off and cannot be turned on in safe mode. To turn on System Restore, restart in Normal mode and then run System Restore again.'

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
rathian Posts 10 Registration date Sunday January 30, 2011 Status Member Last seen January 31, 2011
Jan 30, 2011 at 04:02 PM
After I typed in 'ren explorer.exe explorer1.exe' it said 'the system cannot find the file specified'

I continued with the steps and when I typed in 'copy explorer.exe c:\windows' and pressed enter it said 'the system cannot find the file specified'
Jan 31, 2011 at 06:36 AM
Hello,

Seems like explore.exe file is missing.

Try this 1

1) Copy explorer.exe file from another computer. Go to the location

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache --> Copy explorer.exe file in your pen drive.

2) Now plug your pen drive in the laptop.

[ Note : Make sure that first boot device is set to "Hard disk" but not USB.]

3) Now go to "Safe Mode with Command Prompt".

If you not sure of your pendrive drive letter, then if you have only two drives in

the hard disk (C & D) and having a CD\DVD-Drive( E) then your pendrive

drive letter will "F". Now enter the below commands.

f: --> Press Enter.

Now your prompt should change to your pendrive drive letter F:\>

Dir --> Press Enter. Check if you can see the explorer.exe file to make sure that

"F" drive letter is your pen drive.

Now in the command prompt f:\> --> Enter the command.

copy explorer.exe c:\windows --> Press Enter

copy explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache --> Press Enter

Now change your prompt to C-drive by entering the below command

c: --> Press Enter.

start explorer.exe --> Press Enter. Now you should be able to get into

"Safe Mode".

Restart your PC and try to boot into windows normally.

Good Luck
Jan 30, 2011 at 11:39 AM
Yes I am able to get into safe mode with command prompt.
Jan 31, 2011 at 04:17 PM
I went through all the steps, but upon restarting it's still stuck at the wallpaper screen. Also that 'personalized settings' message showed up briefly again. I suspect that my harddrive has something to do with it.
Feb 1, 2011 at 04:25 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
When the wallpaper appears, hold the ctrl & shift keys and press Esc key. Task Manager will be
opened. Click on "File --> New task". Type explorer.exe and press Enter.
Good Luck