Can connect to vpn but can not connect remote [Solved/Closed]

Ask a question soska33 2Posts Monday January 5, 2009Registration date January 6, 2009 Last seen - Last answered on May 3, 2017 at 12:20 AM by Abhilash
Hello,

I have a vista business. It worked fine with internet, vpn, local network and remote desktop. On 24-th December something has happened on my laptop. If I am in the office, in the private network I can not connect to the internet, I can ping all server but I can not connect remote desktop connection, to the intranet webservices, exchange server with outlook. If I am at home, I can connect to vpn, and I can connect to the internet but I can not connect desktop connection, to the intranet webservices, exchange server with outlook. All windows firewall I have turned off, I have all rihts, no changes have happened in the office environment. Two days before I have uninstalled the Norton Internet Security and installed the Symantec antivirus. In the offices I have to use a firewall to connect to the internet, at home I do not. Has had somebody similar problem? Any idee to solve the problen?
The Administrators say I have only one solution: clear the winchester and install all software again.

Help me please with any advice
Thanks
Klara
See more 
Helpful
+10
plus moins
Turn off policies in VPN client it should do the trick
Was this answer helpful?  
Helpful
+9
plus moins
I had the same problem-- can connect through VPN, but cannot connect to remote server. I added the ip and server name to /windows/system32/tect/host file, and it works well now. I think the remote connection checks this files (host) before DNS conversion.
Hope you can solve the problem as well.
Roger Sidd - Apr 12, 2011 at 07:12 AM
I had the same thing happen to me last night 4/12/2011 and discovered that my firewall on my virus protection was blocking my connection. All I did was go to my firewall and allow connection and it corrected the problem for me.
early- May 1, 2010 at 03:19 PM
I had the same problem.

My situation is my VPN server is windows 7, and my VPN client is XP.

after followed John's answer. He suggested to add the server entry into the host file in windows\system32\driver\etc, and it works great!

thank you.
surajr 1Posts Saturday November 2, 2013Registration date November 2, 2013 Last seen - Nov 2, 2013 at 12:21 AM
but host file is not allowing to be changed
Abhilash- May 3, 2017 at 12:20 AM
thank you very much.......
it worked
Helpful
+7
plus moins
you have to edit your hosts file and add the ip of the servers of your organization and also the names (an admin of the domain can help you)
you can find this file in

windows/system32/drivers/etc

then you should have no problem connecting to the dektop applications, etc...
Helpful
+5
plus moins
I had the same problem.
I made it working by changing the metric value to "1" from "default" in the TCP/IP gateway configuration.
Helpful
+5
plus moins
If your are got internet connection through bsnl land line
go to my network places Local area connection
and click to change TCP IPV4 properties
check on use following ip adress change as
I.P adress 192.168.1.6 (6 it can change 2 to 150)
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.1.1
Preffered DNS Server 192.168.1
It can work in win-7 and vista.
Other wise download NCP secure entry client (VPN Client)
from this http://www.ncp-e.com/en/downloads/software.html
It can import PCF files and other certificates,
dam- May 28, 2011 at 01:49 AM
Preffered DNS Server 192.168.1.1
dam- May 28, 2011 at 01:50 AM
NCP is the best VPN Client
Helpful
+0
plus moins
check to make sure that when you uninstalled norton that it did NOT re-enable the windows firewall and block ports 50,51 and 500.

these are the ipsec ports used by netscreen remote, if you are unable to find the block list, just add an exception in the firewall rules to allow in and outbound on those three ports.

CH
Netscreen Certified Security Associcate
Helpful
+0
plus moins
I have a vista business. ---
It worked fine with internet, vpn, local network and remote desktop.
On 24-th December something has happened on my laptop. [ Could have been a security update ]

If I am in the office, in the private network I can not connect to the internet,
i can ping all server but I can not connect remote desktop connection, to the intranet webservices, exchange server with outlook.
[can you ping your default gateway? verify the default gateway address as well.
make sure that you have the default gateway by running a dos prompt and tying ipconfig /all
that way you can see DNS settings as well as the rest of the needed info.]

If I am at home, I can connect to vpn, and I can connect to the internet but I can not connect (remote)desktop connection, to the intranet webservices, exchange server with outlook.

All windows firewall I have turned off, I have all rights,(permissions)
no changes have happened in the office environment. (microsoft update? or admin push/pull updates?)

Two days before I have uninstalled the Norton Internet Security and installed the Symantec antivirus.
as part of the uninstall norton queries the user if he/she wants to re-enable the windows firewall, just double check this disabled, .. also if you would uninstall symantec antivirus and try www.avast.com home edition,
I recommend it highly, no I dont work for them but I have been using it for 5-6 years now and it never blocks vpn, and its FREE :) also it puts norton to shame!

In the offices I have to use a firewall to connect to the internet, at home I do not. Has had somebody similar problem? [so at home you dont use a router / gateway device that provides NAT?]

==================

if you could also clarify a few things for me,

when you say you use remote connection, do you mean remote desktop connection? port 3389 or a different port?

what model of netscreen firewall does your office use? do you have an IDP device?
if your able to connect to the internet from home, and your using DHCP at both the office and home, the problem would then more than likely reside with the netscreen firewall, it may be blocking your address or may have put you on a block list in general.

tough to tell without more testing and information.

goodluck
Deepika- Sep 16, 2013 at 08:58 AM
Hi,

I used reliance previously, I can able to connect VPN and all remote dervers.
But now am trying using Airtel 3 G data card, now I can able to connect VPN but unable to connect my remote servers.

Could you please let me know the solution for this.
I have used all solution listed above but unable fix it.
vik- Oct 12, 2013 at 09:42 PM
Uninstall the data card software, it will be fixed.

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?