Restoring Toshiba laptop to factory settings

Solved/Closed
confused - Updated on Feb 28, 2018 at 02:33 PM
 Kozzo - Jun 16, 2019 at 11:35 PM
Hi All,

I got a virus on my Toshiba Sattellite and now it won't boot. I don't have any personal stuff that I need to keep so restoring it to factory setting won't be a problem. The problem is bit the F8 and the pressing zero at boot time won't work. All I get is a black screen with a cursor at the top left part of the screen. Both F2 and F12 still work. Any suggestions? I don't have a restore disk.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

4 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Mar 7, 2011 at 06:13 AM
Hello,

First thanks to "Ambucias"

Try this 1

Boot from the "Vista Recovery Disc"

When "System Recovery Options" window appear ---> Click on "Command

Prompt". Now enter the following commands one by one.

bootrec /fixmbr ----> Press Enter.

bcdedit /export c:\bcd_backup ----> Press Enter.

c: ----> Press Enter.

Note : Now your prompt changes to C:\>

cd boot ----> Press Enter.

Note : Now your prompt changes to C:\Boot>

attrib bcd -s -h -r ----> Press Enter.

ren bcd bcd.old ----> Press Enter.

bootrec /rebuildbcd ----> Press Enter.

Follow the instructions ---> type exit and press enter --> Click on "Restart".

Good Luck.
jack4rall is the king. I did exactally what he instructed me to do and it fixed the problem. there are lots of other post concerning the same problem and everyone should read his solution.....thanks a bunch jack4rall
How do you boot from the Vista Recovery Disc? I'm not finding a disc that came with it, and I'm having the same issues: I hold 0 down when I start it up and it doesn't work (shows the toshiba page, then black screen with flashing underscore in top left, beeping that wont stop unless I let up on 0, and when I do it just starts up normally).
jack4rall:

I am having same problem as the original post, with a Toshiba Satellite 455 laptop, Win 7, Home Premium. Mine started after a failed Registry clean... stopped part way thru, hung up. Attempted disk recovery but that stopped part way thru too. Did not have recovery CD, but made one from another Win 7 laptop, using that to attempt recovery. Have only been able to load Windows part way,,, get black screen & cursor but nothing else. Cursor does nothing.

Cannot get command prompt to come up at all, like thru startup options, etc., unless there is some secret way you know of to do that.

The more I try, the worse it seems to get. At first I could do a "Memory Diagnosis", but now cannot even do it, since the last time I did it I got:
File: /boot/memtest.exe
Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

Question: Given this information - would the above fix work in my situation too? My main problem is getting to the command prompt to enter yor fix process, and even if I could, I am not sure your solution will work with my situation. It is VERY similar to the original post. The description they give is exactly what I have, except for the file error details (which I am not sure if they had going too, but they were not aware of them yet).

I ask this of you since you seem to be quite knowledgeable on this subject, and it is the closest, best answer I have found after DAYS of searching for an answer to fix this problem.

Thanks in advance for your time and interest in answering this for me!
I have no idea how I found this feckin' needle in the online haystack of fixing my old rig but holy hell this is the only thing that got me past the initial options screen thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you