PS2 keyboard not working at boot [Solved/Closed]

Ask a question Jose Manuel - Last answered on Dec 12, 2016 at 04:43 PM by sirkris09
Hello,

Please see if anybody can help me, because I've googleing for days with no result.

I've got a PC with Windows Vista with PS2 keyboard port. The PS2 port is not working anymore in Windows nor at boot time, but it works fine with a Linux Live CD.

I'm using a USB keyboard in Windows, but my problem is that I can't access BIOS setup because USB keyboards doesn't work till I start Windows.

I would have to set the option "USB legacy support" on BIOS setup, but I can't enter at BIOS setup, because the PS2 keyboard doesn't work.

It cannot be a hardware problem, because the keyboard works with linux, and I think it cannot be a Windows driver problem, because the keyboard doesn't work at boot time.

Medion PC, Windows Vista 32bit, Intel Quad Core 9300, 4GB RAM, Asustek p5K motherboard
See more 
Helpful
+6
plus moins
Hello,

Try this 1

Turn off your PC --> Remove the power cord --> Open the cabinet --> Remove

the CMOS battery for 20mins. After the specific time, place the CMOS battery back

properly ---> Connect the power cord --> Now Turn ON your PC.

Good Luck
Was this answer helpful?  
markp- Apr 9, 2015 at 01:59 PM
I don't understand how this worked...at all....but it did. Was working on my nephews computer. The mouse and keyboard work during boot to get into the bios, etc, but where disabled at the start screen on XP (I know....old and EOL). I pulled their hard drive and placed it in a totally different "known good" machine to rule out hardware and the same thing happened. I removed the cmos battery for several minutes and put it back and voila! It worked! I can't explain that.
Millz- Jul 23, 2015 at 11:09 AM
Rebooting your PC has the exact same affect.
reptylex- Sep 24, 2015 at 04:37 AM
hellow . My laptop keyboard doesn't work in boot, I tried to change setting but as I said keyboar wouldn't work
Ashis- Oct 28, 2015 at 10:51 AM
I too wanted to change key-board from PS2 to USB but could not succeed. However, at the moment I have attached two keyboard one PS2 and the other one USB, this working quite well. However, I have not tried by removing CMOS
Sab- Apr 29, 2016 at 01:59 AM
After reset my BIOS also. It is not working .
Please let me know, there is some other way toboot my OS with out keyboard
Helpful
+2
plus moins
Thanks, jack4rall:

I followed your instructions and it worked fine. Problem solved!!!!
Helpful
+2
plus moins
Thank it work perfectly!
Helpful
+0
plus moins
This solution works so well, I have to spend the time to register and tell everybody about it. Thanks!
Leave a comment
Helpful
+0
plus moins
I did it but the PC refuses to boot now, any ideas?
sirkris09 3Posts Monday December 12, 2016Registration date December 12, 2016 Last seen - Dec 12, 2016 at 04:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=WBy1z0r4rWg
here's what happens
Leave a comment

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?