PS2 keyboard not working at boot

Solved/Closed
Jose Manuel - Mar 14, 2011 at 06:40 AM
 Candle600 - Feb 20, 2021 at 07:26 AM
Hello,

Please see if anybody can help me, because I've googleing for days with no result.

I've got a PC with Windows Vista with PS2 keyboard port. The PS2 port is not working anymore in Windows nor at boot time, but it works fine with a Linux Live CD.

I'm using a USB keyboard in Windows, but my problem is that I can't access BIOS setup because USB keyboards doesn't work till I start Windows.

I would have to set the option "USB legacy support" on BIOS setup, but I can't enter at BIOS setup, because the PS2 keyboard doesn't work.

It cannot be a hardware problem, because the keyboard works with linux, and I think it cannot be a Windows driver problem, because the keyboard doesn't work at boot time.

Medion PC, Windows Vista 32bit, Intel Quad Core 9300, 4GB RAM, Asustek p5K motherboard
Related:

5 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Mar 14, 2011 at 07:11 AM
Hello,

Try this 1

Turn off your PC --> Remove the power cord --> Open the cabinet --> Remove

the CMOS battery for 20mins. After the specific time, place the CMOS battery back

properly ---> Connect the power cord --> Now Turn ON your PC.

Good Luck
Thanks a lot. I'll try.
Is there any danger that the system gets a misconfiguration which I can't repair? For example, now I can boot from CD disk. If I reset the BIOS to system defaults, maybe this option gets disabled and, if the resetting doesn't solve the problem, things would be worse. Is this possible?
thanks it works