WRT54gs router problem

Solved/Closed
Yuriy - Apr 6, 2011 at 01:14 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Apr 9, 2011 at 07:07 PM
Hello,

I recently did a reset of the WRT54GS router since I have long ago lost my CD with software on it. I am using two laptops at home, one wirelessly downstairs and one hardwired upstairs, next to the modem and router. After the reset, I was finally, after 10 tries, able to access the set-up page through 192.168.1.1 address. I entered everything as was mentioned on various forums. I saved all the changes. However, after all the steps taken, I can't still use the laptop downstairs wirelessly, since it does recognize the router with excellent signal but is unable to connect to the internet. Also, since the reset and the configuration changes, I cannot use the laptop upstairs that is hardwired to the router, only when I connect it to the modem. Please, write me back exactly what am I suppose to do and what steps to take next/. Thank you

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Apr 9, 2011 at 07:07 PM
I suggest you reset the router to factory default. There should be a hole in the back of the router marked "reset". You use a ball point pen to depress the switch (in the hole) for 30 seconds. Then power down the router for 1 or 2 minutes. When you restart it the router will have the factory password and the wifi will have no password. You can then use the desktop connection to change things. The manufacturer's web site should have full instructions and/or a download of there custom router setting software.

Good Luck