Windows XP Pro updates causing problems

Closed
Notsuredamus Posts 1 Registration date Monday January 12, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 13, 2009 - Jan 13, 2009 at 04:33 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jan 15, 2009 at 03:45 PM
Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop. w/Pentium 4 & dual 3.06 gig processors.

After a sudden loss of power I had a to reboot from disk due to a disk read error.

I installed Win XP Pro and everything seemed fine. Until I got to the SP2 update. Many programs depend on XP having SP2 and every time I try to install it I get an error message cannot complete install. Can any one explain why this might be happening? I have never had an issue with it until I got this laptop.

So I tried to install SP3. Everytime SP3 is installed (which it says completed succesfully) My computer tries to reboot and fails getting random disk read error and missing or corrupt file messages. The chkdsk /r doesnt work the ASR doesnt work. I cant use last known good config or start up in diagnostic. Every attempt to repair fails.

If any1 knows of a way to resolve these conflicts id appreciate some help.

Could I maybe have a bad harddrive? would these symptoms be consistant with that? it seems to me unlikely but im new o computers.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Jan 15, 2009 at 03:45 PM
There is a good chance the disk drive is damaged. I believe Dells come with a build in hardware diagnostic program that you can run from the BIOS. You should call Dell help line and get them to walk you through the procedure for testing the hardware.