Ask a question Report

Find my xp key [Solved]

rayeddie 2Posts Wednesday January 14, 2009Registration date January 15, 2009 Last seen - Latest answer on Jun 16, 2010 09:06AM
I have corrupted files in windows xp, it wont boot even in safe mode.
I have run my hard drive externally and run chkdsk /r.
Still wont boot when i put it back and run windows.
I dont know the windows key otherwise i would use a xp disk i have which is for anothe computer and reinstal.
Any way of running the drive externally and finding out what the windows key is?
I dont think i can do it with Belarc, or can I?
Read more 
moins plus
Hello there,

I would just like to point out an application that i myself had come across recently to retrieve my Windows product key and MS Office keys.

XP CD-Key Finder: by Mayhem Development

This application i found very handy and very quick to use, Plus it allows me to use it at work for the more difficult job of trying to find the cd keys on a non-bootable hard drive.

Basically it will get the product keys as per usual but will also obtain the current IP/User/PC Name which saves me just that little bit more time when i am doing multiple computer.

I have put it on a USB key which i quickly just plug in any time i need to use it.
But the better part is it is now on my main pc... If i cant boot a hdd i will simply plug the hdd into a usb adapter and then run the application on the ntuser.dat or the *.sav files which has allowed me to obtain the keys that way.

Hope this one can be helpful for someone else like it has been for me.

Add comment
moins plus
I just found this program that says it can retrieve the Windows Product Key even when windows will not boot.
OMIGHTY1- Jun 17, 2009 01:05PM
Thank you SO MUCH for the keyfinder! I had a preinstalled Windows which I needed to reinstall, and I didn't have my product key for the rescue disk; now I do! Again I say, thanks a lot! :)
Rajneesh- Dec 5, 2009 03:50AM
Thank you SO MUCH for the keyfinder! & but I d'not know my window XP prfessional (Sevice Pack 3) product Key.

Linux only way- Jun 16, 2010 09:06AM
xpcman you rock
Add comment
moins plus
You could try a repair install - see this web page:
Add comment
This document entitled « Find my xp key » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.