Windows XP missing desktop icons and taskbar

Closed
Rimah - Apr 27, 2011 at 10:41 PM
vidhu Posts 4 Registration date Wednesday February 24, 2010 Status Member Last seen May 4, 2011 - May 4, 2011 at 02:32 AM
Hello,

My desktop icons and taskbar disappeared after I accidentally ran D:\INSTALL.EXE I tried restarting and several of the fixes I have found on this site but none have worked. They all require me to start a new task using windows task manager, but when i hit OK or Browse on this window the computer acts like its loading and windows task manager becomes unresponsive. This is true both in normal and safe mode. Should someone find a fix for this issue I would be eternally grateful.

Related:

3 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Apr 27, 2011 at 11:39 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
When you switch ON your laptop, start tapping the "F8" key to get "Windows Advanced Options"( if boot menu appears, press "Esc" key and keep tapping the F8 key)
Select "Safe Mode with Command Prompt". Let me know if you are able to boot into safe mode with command prompt successfully.
Good Luck
It does show the command prompt
vidhu Posts 4 Registration date Wednesday February 24, 2010 Status Member Last seen May 4, 2011
May 4, 2011 at 02:32 AM
I think explorer.exe is not loading in your system, Install.exe could be a spyware which added a registry entry that prevents Windows's Explorer.exe from loading... check this link for more details and solution ..
http://tech.ebugg-i.com/2011/04/how-to-windows-explorerexe-not-loading.html