Win 7 Choose a file to open a program?

Solved/Closed
Animegirl - May 17, 2011 at 05:30 PM
 slicksully - Dec 8, 2012 at 11:57 PM
Hello,
I have a big problem evertime I open a program my laptop asks me to choose a file to run the program with
And I want this to stop and I want my laptop to go back to normal:'(
This started happening after a virus called 'Win 7 total security' or somethging started asking me to download an anti-virus (it costs a lot)anyway, I tried reading the answers on this website but most of them require you to download a program and when I try to download it the same thing happens again (they ask me to choose a file to download this program)!
and by the way I have a Norwegian laptop but the systems are almost the same
the only way I can open the internet to ask this question is because when I press the internet and they ask me to choose a program, there's a small link that says to search for the program I want in the internet but when it opens I press Google instead:p

please can you help me with a step after step answer that doesn't require downloading anything and will make my laptop become the way it was again!

please!!!!!!!!

Related:

6 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
May 19, 2011 at 05:15 AM
1. Click on the file extension on the hyperlink below to download the .zip file:

EXE.reg https://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/123734d1292473157-default-file-type-associations-restore-default_exe.reg

2. Save the .zip file to your desktop.

3. Open the downloaded .zip file, then extract (drag and drop) the .reg file to the desktop.

4. Right click on the extracted .reg file and click on Merge.

5. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK.

6. When done, you can delete the downloaded .zip and .reg files on the desktop if you like.

7. Log off and log on, or restart the computer to apply.
I don't know y but for some reason my laptop won't download that file :(
I'll just take it to a technician but thx anyway, I think that might be usefull for other people!
OH sorry, that did work thx alot!!!!!!!!!!
You saved my life!
God Bless you for this help, I really appreciate it. You saved me money.
It worked for my laptop too!! Thanks a lot!!
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Jul 28, 2011 at 04:00 PM
Your totally welcome
Thank you very much, you are the true PC saint.
Nov 19, 2011 at 03:54 PM
Dear Nameless

Me a saint! My new halo is making me blush! Thanks for your feedback.
O-M-G!!! Praise MOSES!! Your a PC God Ambucias!!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
I just fixed this on my computer - go to control panel - go to remove - click on "I want This" then click remove - very simple - but took me several hours to figure it out. I my case it came up as a bX error in my blogspot when I tired to post a new post
Thanks ...worked like a charm!!