No Sound device on Toshiba Satellite L655

Solved/Closed
Kashif - May 28, 2011 at 05:17 AM
 Anonymous User - Jun 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM
Hello,

I have Toshiba Satellite L655 and I have installed windows XP SP2 on it. Downloaded all drivers from Toshiba support.. But I am unable to find multimedia audio controller in device manager.. Tried to Install sound driver so many times but it is not started single time.. After extraction, it does not appear.

In device manager, under Sound category.. I can see these,

Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Video Codecs

None of them have uninstall option..

In other devices... I can see these with yellow marks

Ethernet Controller (I know it is for LAN)
PCI Device
PCI Device
PCI Simple Communication Controller
SM Bus Controller
Unkown Device

But I could not find Multimedia Audio Controller.

Please help me... I have read many forums and threads but could not find any solution..

12 responses

Anonymous User
May 28, 2011 at 07:04 AM
Hi Kashif,

First, do not listen Ambucias, he always exaggerate with age of members, but yet I am close to the seventy dozen.

Regarding your issue, the L655 will not work on any Windows OS older than Windows 7. There is no drivers available below Windows 7 for Sound, Video and Wi-fi for Toshiba L655.

However, you mention in your other thread that your windows 7 partition had disappears but it is intact and you want it back. This problem is due to the fact you install an older version of Windows above a new version. Installing Windows XP crushed the MBR which is indispensable for Windows 7 starting up.

We will fix your issue if you follow exactly instructions I'll give you:

First, download EasyBCD to the link below:
https://ccm.net/downloads/tools/5443-easybcd/

Install and run it

On the left side of EasyBCD, click on the Add New Entry button.

In the top section under Operating Systems, click on the Windows tab.

To the right of Type, select Windows NT/2k/XP/2k3 from the drop down menu.

To the right of Name, you can leave the default Microsoft Windows XP as the name to be displayed in the Windows Boot Manager, or you can type whatever name you would like to have instead.

Click on the Add Entry button.

On the left side of EasyBCD, click on the Bootloader Setup button, select (dot) the Install the Windows XP bootloader to the MBR option, and click on the Write MBR button.

Restart the laptop, you should have normally a choice between Windows 7 and Windows XP, select Windows 7 and go to the device manager then delete from there the Windows XP partition.

You can merge the unallocated partition with Windows 7 partition if you want.

For that:
Click on the link below and download the free tool:
https://ccm.net/download/download-380-easeus-partition-master

For instructions regarding how to use it, click on the second link and follow the instructions given in the video tutorial.
https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-guide/extend-system-partition.html

After all that, you should have you computer back to the normal.

I go to university, but let me know anyway, I'll reply you when I'll come back

Good Luck!
If you don't know where you go, get back where you come.......
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
May 28, 2011 at 05:29 AM
Hello Kashif,

You are right, your sound card does not show.

Have you had sound before installing sp2? You should also install sp3.

Try this:

Open you computer and remove the sound card. While you are inside, take time to clean out the dust with compressed air. Reboot without the sound card. Then, replace the sound card and boot again. Windows should detect it as new device.

Let me know
Yes.. before installing XP sp2, I had win 7 and sound was working fine..

I cannot remove my sound device.. I am using a laptop... hello...

please help me
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
May 28, 2011 at 06:11 AM
So now you tell me that you had Win 7! That changes the issue.

I will refer you to my good friend Bionik who will find a solution for you. Be nice to him, he is 77 years old, but he rocks!

Just stand by.
thanks Ambucias...

let me know, where to find sir Bionik? Should I wait here for him or contact him on some other page?
Bundle of thanks bionik for such a detailed and helpful reply...Sorry I didnt post it twice... That problem was some thing else.. here I wanted to resolve my sound issue.. In 2nd post, you deleted, I wanted back my Win 7.. Anyhow.... thanks again.. I am gona try your method.. then will let you know the results...
lotttttttttttttttttt of thankssssssssssssssssssxxxx bionik..

Awesome solution... Now I can access both windows.
By the way I am running both windows on the same partition C:.
but both Operating systems have separate Program files and Windows folder but in the same partition.

Wo if I want to remove Win Xp.. then I will delete its name via your given software tool and will delete those folders of Program files, documents and Windows associated with XP... Will it be ok?

And by the way.. Toshiba has given support for xp in this model listing... Almost all worked including display, hot keys, wifi, except this sound... Reason is Win Xp is not able to detect sound device.. Dont know why... Anyhow... thanks a lot sir... You rocks

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Anonymous User
May 28, 2011 at 08:22 AM
I am happy to know that your issue is fixed. You follow all the instructions I gave you and it's done, you're a good student.

Regarding partitons, you can't merge it because I though you install Windows XP in a different partition, but you can delete Windows XP files if you see that you don't need Windows XP; you'll have a normal boot when you turn on your laptop.

Have a nice day.
Actually you explained the whole procedure in such a way that there remain no ambiguity for me. I just followed your instructions and its done... :)
Anonymous User
May 28, 2011 at 09:04 AM
Great Job,

Do not hesitate to ask questions if you encounter other issues.

Regards
Hello Bionik..

I am facing another problem .. I followed your instructions and everything was working fine. I was using both windows (Xp + Win 7) one by one. But now my Win 7 is not shutting down. I clicked so many times on Shut Down, Log Off, Restart... but nothing happens....I am unable to restart or shut down my laptop since 24 hours... Last night, I left it on hibernate... Only hibernate is working. but when I press Enter, it directly appears desktop of Win 7. I cannt acces Win Xp.. waht to do now?

I am running 2 windown , Windows XP and Win 7 and both are installed on same partition C:

I am using Toshiba Satellite L655
KashifNawaz Posts 3 Registration date Sunday May 29, 2011 Status Member Last seen May 30, 2011
May 29, 2011 at 10:22 PM
Following your instructions, I found these three lines in that particular section.

1. Performance can be improved by changing visual setting.
2. Drivers are interfering with windows resuming from sleep mode.

by clicking "view details", I got this message,

These drivers are causing windows to resume slowly,

Name: AMD multi-vendor miniport driver
Filename: atikmpag.sys
Device: ATI Mobility Redeon HD5145
Date Reported: May 10, 2011

3. Programs are interfering with windows entering sleep mode.

by clicking "view details", I got this message,

These programs are causing windows to stand by or hibernate slowly,

Name: McAfee HTML UI-Container
File Name: mcuicnt.exe
Date Reported: May 11, 2011

Then I tried to clean boot again following your instructions regarding msconfig.

But when I clicked on Restart after applying changes in msconfig , it said, "msconfig cannot restart your PC" other option was, exit without restarting.

Now tell me. what to do.. I am still facing the problem.
One thing more, During the last month, I always shut down my windows by force. I mean, whenever I clicked on shut down in previous month, there came a message that some programs or running (but there was no program running) and at the end, there were with two options, "Force ShutDown" or "Cancel". I used to select Force Shutdown and it was working.
Anonymous User
May 29, 2011 at 04:19 PM
Hi Kashif,

Try the below steps to check which program is causing this problem.

1.Click Start.

2.Click Control Panel.

3.Click Performance, Information and Tools.

4.On the left pane click Advanced Tools.

On the upper part of the window, just before "View advanced information about your computer's performance" there is a small section which, in case something is wrong with windows 7, should report the following message: "Programs are causing Windows to shut down slowly"

5.Click on it and find out which program is slowing down your PC.

I would recommend you boot Windows into a clean boot environment to make this issue is not being caused by a background program.

To perform a clean boot on a computer, follow these steps.

1.Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

2.On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3.Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

4.Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

5.Click OK.

6.When you are prompted, click Restart.

7.After the computer starts, check whether the problem is resolved.

Good Luck! Let me know!
KashifNawaz Posts 3 Registration date Sunday May 29, 2011 Status Member Last seen May 30, 2011
May 30, 2011 at 07:40 AM
Hi bionik.. I have found the solution. I have just applied restore defaults in Power Options. It worked....
Anonymous User
May 30, 2011 at 04:11 PM
Thank yo for your feedback, Am happy to hear that it came back at the normal.

Regards.
May 30, 2011 at 08:08 PM
Hi bionik.

Another problem..

When I restart computer, menu comes in the beginning to select one from two windows, but I cannot change or select XP window. it wait for 4-5 seconds then starts win 7. No key work there. what to do? please reply
Anonymous User
May 31, 2011 at 04:18 PM
Hi,

Did you delete some files on Windows XP repertory? Can you boot from "safe mode"?
Hello..

No, I did not delete any file..
No, I cannot access keyboard while booting. Menu comes of two windows. Three options are there at the end, Enter=Continue, Cancel. Tab=Menu,,,,

But no button works at that time and Win 7 Starts....
I can access BIOS.. Then no function key including all keyboard not works.
Anonymous User
Jun 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM
Hi,

This problem may be due to the two installations of Windows in the same partition. There certainly some conflict between us during the boot. I suggest you to delete all the files of Windows XP, to partition and to install it in the new partition.

Regards