Text format to date/month/year on excel

Solved/Closed
Cheryl - Jun 2, 2011 at 02:38 AM
 ExcelNewbie - Apr 22, 2016 at 05:19 PM
Hello,

I have a huge list of data that has multiple dates/year along with different time format.
I want to delete the time and obtain only the date/month/year format on excel. How do I change this? The initial data was on text format from notepad which I've segregated to different columns now on Excel.
This is how my format looks on excel Jun 19 2006 11:18AM. Can someone please help me asap?

Regards,
Cheryl
Related:

3 responses

RWomanizer Posts 365 Registration date Monday February 7, 2011 Status Contributor Last seen September 30, 2013 120
Jun 2, 2011 at 04:42 AM
Go to Data Tab

Select Text to Column,

Then check fixed with and then next

now click between date and time , it makes a new column for time and you can skip this column by select next than skip,

now click on finish.

Cheers! you have done it. :)
Hello,
I already tried this but no luck as on my sheet I have the data in this format Jun 04 2009 05:21PM, whereas it should be segragated with either a / or - signs inorder to format the date as desired.

Can you please suggest how to segregate these data into DD-MM-YYYY format?

Appreciate your help on this!

Regards,
Cheryl
you are such a great dude..... I helps me lot....

thank you very much
Bunnyslippers
Feb 10, 2016 at 11:56 PM
For those who haven't figured it out, "Then check fixed with and then next" should say "Then check fixed width and then click next."
Thanks so much!
Schlunggi Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday December 18, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 29, 2012 2
Dec 18, 2012 at 04:25 AM
I tried this macro, but I must be missing some necessary changes, because all I get in the date colon is #NAME?

My dates are European DD-MM-YYYYY and need to change to ISO YYYY-MM-DD
(to get proper sorting by date)

Public Sub doToXLDate()

Dim sTgtSheet As String 'sheet to operate on
Dim iTgtCol As Integer 'column to operate on
Dim lStartRow As Long 'starting row from where to operate on
Dim lEndRow As Long 'last to row operate on
Dim lMaxCol As Long 'last column in use0

sTgtSheet = "Sheet1"
lStartRow = 2
iTgtCol = 1

With Sheets(sTgtSheet)
.AutoFilterMode = False
lEndRow = getItemLocation("*", .Cells)
If lEndRow < lStartRow Then Exit Sub
lMaxCol = getItemLocation("*", .Cells, bFindRow:=False)
If (lMaxCol < iTgtCol) Then Exit Sub

With Application
.ScreenUpdating = False
.EnableEvents = False
.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
End With

With .Range(.Cells(lStartRow, lMaxCol + 1), .Cells(lEndRow, lMaxCol + 1))
.NumberFormat = "general"
.FormulaR1C1 = "=getXLDate(RC" & iTgtCol & ")"
Application.CutCopyMode = False
.Copy
End With
With .Range(.Cells(lStartRow, iTgtCol), .Cells(lEndRow, iTgtCol))
.PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
Application.CutCopyMode = False
.NumberFormat = "YYYY-Mm-dd"
End With
.Range(.Cells(lStartRow, lMaxCol + 1), .Cells(lEndRow, lMaxCol + 1)).ClearContents

With Application
.EnableEvents = True
.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
.Calculate
.ScreenUpdating = True
End With
End With

End Sub

Public Function getXLDate(sInstring As String) As Variant

If (IsDate(sInstring)) _
Then
getXLDate = CDate(sInstring)
Else
getXLDate = sInstring
End If

End Function

Public Function getItemLocation(sLookFor As String, _
rngSearch As Range, _
Optional bFullString As Boolean = True, _
Optional bLastOccurance As Boolean = True, _
Optional bFindRow As Boolean = True) As Long

Dim Cell As Range
Dim iLookAt As Integer
Dim iSearchDir As Integer
Dim iSearchOdr As Integer

If (bFullString) _
Then
iLookAt = xlWhole
Else
iLookAt = xlPart
End If
If (bLastOccurance) _
Then
iSearchDir = xlPrevious
Else
iSearchDir = xlNext
End If
If Not (bFindRow) _
Then
iSearchOdr = xlByColumns
Else
iSearchOdr = xlByRows
End If

With rngSearch
If (bLastOccurance) _
Then
Set Cell = .Find(sLookFor, .Cells(1, 1), xlValues, iLookAt, iSearchOdr, iSearchDir)
Else
Set Cell = .Find(sLookFor, .Cells(.Rows.Count, .Columns.Count), xlValues, iLookAt, iSearchOdr, iSearchDir)
End If
End With

If Cell Is Nothing Then
getItemLocation = 0
ElseIf Not (bFindRow) _
Then
getItemLocation = Cell.Column
Else
getItemLocation = Cell.Row
End If
Set Cell = Nothing

End Function
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Dec 18, 2012 at 06:12 PM
@Schlunggi could you please upload a sample workbook at some public file share site like speedyshare and post back link to the file back here to see the issue
Schlunggi Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday December 18, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 29, 2012 2
Dec 29, 2012 at 02:43 AM
I have uploaded a sample File (DecStmtsNFG.xls) on Speedyshare.
I also have included on Sheet2 a different solution, but it only works if dates have leading zeros.
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Jan 4, 2013 at 01:57 PM
you would need to paste the link to the file back here
RWomanizer Posts 365 Registration date Monday February 7, 2011 Status Contributor Last seen September 30, 2013 120
Jun 3, 2011 at 06:07 AM
Could you please upload a sample EXCEL file WITH sample data on some shared site like https://authentification.site , http://docs.google.com, http://wikisend.com/ , http://www.editgrid.com etc
AND post back here the link to allow better understanding of how it is now and how you foresee. Based on the sample book, could you re-explain your problem too.

Note: your data need not be to be real data but a good representative of how data looks like
I've uploaded the sample data on the above link http://www.speedyshare.com/. Pls guide me on how to convert this to YY-MM-DD format?
Jun 4, 2011 at 12:46 PM
Cheryl , you need to post the whole link to the file.

I was thinking that text to column would give you the date, but you are right , it is not giving in this case. So if the data is in one column, you may have to use a formula to force it to date type or use a user defined function to do so. If these dates are at random location, then I am afraid you dont have many good choices left and only option would be to use a macro.
Hello,

I did posted the entire data on the link...I'll once again post the data on the link....Can you give me a formula to work on Macro level? I'm very new to excel and do not have knowledge on Macro...
Many thanks
Hello,

Here is an example of how my format looks after pasting them on excel spreadsheet., If I do a right click to change the format it never works as it does not have a separator in between. Moreover I have no clue how to change the format in Macro level. Please suggest!

Apr 15 2006
Jun 10 2010
Mar 15 2003
Jan 01 2002
Apr 22 1979
Jul 12 1980
May 10 1985
Sep 22 2009
Oct 12 2007
Dec 17 1969
Jun 4, 2011 at 05:13 PM
Ok correct my assumptions
1. The date are always found in one specific column, lets say column B
2. There are no merge cells on the sheet
3. All you want is to convert that one specific column to date so that it can be formatted as per you want .

Please correct my assumptions.