Simple Excel Formula Help

Solved/Closed
Spoola - Jun 5, 2011 at 06:57 PM
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 - Jun 6, 2011 at 08:32 AM
Hello,

Hey guys I'm doing some project on Excel for a class. When it comes to entering and creating formulas, I'm borderline handicapped. Does anyone know what to make of this?

Enter a formula into cell B7 that calculates the gravity felt by the astronaut on Mercury wearing the space suit. The formula is the percentage (in row 5) times the sum of the weight of the astronaut (in column A) and the weight of the space suit (in cell A2). You should use absolute formulas for this.

Haaalp. Also, much thanks in advance.

1 response

TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Jun 6, 2011 at 08:32 AM
Hi Spoola,

You say the percentage is in row 5. But which column? I'm guessing B.
You say the weight of the astronaut can be found in column A. But which row? I'm guessing 5.

The formula will look like this:
=B5*(A5+A2)

Absolute cell references are used to prevent the change of cell references when being dragged.
To make a cell reference absolute, select the cell in the formula bar and hit F4. Hitting F4 multiple times will cycle through the available options: Absolute row and column, only row, only column, cancel action.
You can also manually add a $ symbol in front of the letter or number or both.

I have no idea which cell refeernce you want to make absolute, but now you know how it works.

Best regards,
Trowa