Computer powers up, does not boot or monitor

Closed
Eric - Jun 21, 2011 at 05:24 PM
vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 - Jun 21, 2011 at 08:01 PM
Symptoms:
-Monitor does not turn on at start-up, fails to communicate with computer
-Computer powers up, light comes on
-Fans are much louder than normal and do not quiet down
-DVD drives are functional
-Mouse light does not come on

Attempted fixes:

-Change position of RAM
-Take out each RAM separately
-Replace RAM
-Clean video card
-Clean fans and CPU and inside computer
-Check cables of monitor
-Played with wires to see if there is a short
-Removing cords, holding down power button for 60 seconds, reconnecting and starting

Notes: At one point I removed one of the RAM and changed its position and the computer powered up normally so I shut it off and put in the other RAM after cleaning inside and the problem returned. So, I removed the RAM and attempted to return the computer to the previous state at which it powered up and it would not come on again. Odd. I thought there might be a short but playing with the wires has not helped.
I currently have new, compatible RAM in my computer. ANY SUGGESTIONS? Thank you in advance.
Related:

3 responses

vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 38
Jun 21, 2011 at 06:07 PM
Hi,

What model and brand is your computer? and are there any beeps or sounds when you attempt a start up?
HP Pavillion m7557c
AMD Athlon 64x2 4400+
NVIDA GeForce 7500 LE
300GB Hard Drive
1024MB Ram --> Currently has 2GB

No beeping upon start up that I can hear above the loud fan noise.
vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 38
Jun 21, 2011 at 06:59 PM
OK. Im not familiar with this model, but you said you checked the cables for the monitor, so im guessing it's a desktop and not a laptop, right? Can you access the BIOS? And, if you can, install your OS on an external hard drive, then open it and put it in as your internal hard drive. That way you'll know at least know where the problem is or isn't. I've done this once before to fix an external, 3.5 inch external, not 2.5 inch (the big kind you need to plug into a wall)
The computer turns on but nothing makes it to the computer screen and the fans are going really loud. It is a desktop. I can only mess with the hardware since I cannot get it to start up where I can see anything.
Jun 21, 2011 at 08:01 PM
OK, then do the second suggestion. Sorry, in my last post i said 'if you can in the 3rd line. I meant if you know how to connect the external, not asking if you can access your bios.

There was a problem with my old laptop, an HP as well. As a temporary fix, i left it for about an hour on, then restarted it and it worked. The permanent fix was to replace the motherboard. This may fix your computer, but it is expensive and should be done if you're sure the problem is there.