No sound when browsing the internet

Solved/Closed
Spunkiepoo - Aug 16, 2011 at 07:41 AM
 darav - Apr 4, 2013 at 01:46 AM
Hello all,

I really hope that you can help me because I'm going slightly mad...

(I use Google Chrome, by the way, and my laptop uses Windows Vista Ultimate Version 6.0)

I've searched for solutions to the above problem for the past few days and discovered that many, many people have this problem. I followed all the help offered. Here are things that I tried:

- Hit the shift button and Esc to open the Chrome task manager. Then select the "Plug in: Shockwave Flash" and then hit "End process." After, refresh the page and the sound should work.
- Make sure that "wavemapper" exists at....some folder somewhere (I can't remember where, but trust me, I followed all the steps and created "wavemapper."
- I have tried reinstalling both Adobe Flash Player (or whatever it's called) and also Google Chrome.

The solution that worked for me was the first one mentioned above - yes, it actually worked! But I found I had to do it all the time. NOW, however ladies and gentlemen, I am finding that even this is not working every time - the reason why I say "every time" is that oddly, it does work of an occasion and other times not - how can this be?! Sometimes my laptop surprises me and out of nowhere, sound works when I try youtubing stuff, but sadly more often than not, it doesn't. I can't understand it!!

Last night, for example, it shocked me by working, and I had a great old evening listening to music and what not. Today, however, I'm embarking on tackling the unsavoury task of tidying my room and would love some background tunes to boost morale, but I HAVE NO SOUND WHEN BROWSING THE INTERNET!! If you could help me, I would be eternally grateful. Thank you so much in advance.

Kind regards,
Spunkiepoo

9 responses

Anonymous User
Aug 16, 2011 at 10:05 AM
Hi,

There are many ways to fix this ussue using the registry. Try this one and let me know:

Copy this text into notepad (starting with Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00) and save it to your desktop using the name "missing.reg":

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
"midimapper"="midimap.dll"
"msacm.imaadpcm"="imaadp32.acm"
"msacm.msadpcm"="msadp32.acm"
"msacm.msg711"="msg711.acm"
"msacm.msgsm610"="msgsm32.acm"
"msacm.trspch"="tssoft32.acm"
"vidc.cvid"="iccvid.dll"
"VIDC.I420"="i420vfw.dll"
"vidc.iv31"="ir32_32.dll"
"vidc.iv32"="ir32_32.dll"
"vidc.iv41"="ir41_32.ax"
"VIDC.IYUV"="iyuv_32.dll"
"vidc.mrle"="msrle32.dll"
"vidc.msvc"="msvidc32.dll"
"VIDC.YVYU"="msyuv.dll"
"wavemapper"="msacm32.drv"
"msacm.msg723"="msg723.acm"
"vidc.M263"="msh263.drv"
"vidc.M261"="msh261.drv"
"msacm.msaudio1"="msaud32.acm"
"msacm.sl_anet"="sl_anet.acm"
"msacm.iac2"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\iac25_32.ax"
"vidc.iv50"="ir50_32.dll"
"wave"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer"="wdmaud.drv"
"VIDC.WMV3"="wmv9vcm.dll"
"VIDC.VP40"="vp4vfw.dll"
"msacm.voxacm160"="vct3216.acm"
"MSVideo"="vfwwdm32.dll"
"MSVideo8"="VfWWDM32.dll"
"wave1"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi1"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer1"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux"="wdmaud.drv"
"vidc.VP70"="vp7vfw.dll"
"vidc.X264"="x264vfw.dll"
"VIDC.FPS1"="frapsvid.dll"
"vidc.VP60"="vp6vfw.dll"
"vidc.VP61"="vp6vfw.dll"
"vidc.VP62"="vp6vfw.dll"
"vidc.DIVX"="DivX.dll"
"VIDC.UYVY"="msyuv.dll"
"VIDC.YUY2"="msyuv.dll"
"VIDC.YVU9"="tsbyuv.dll"
"VIDC.DRAW"="DVIDEO.DLL"
"VIDC.YV12"="yv12vfw.dll"
"wave2"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi2"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer2"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux1"="wdmaud.drv"
"wave3"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi3"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer3"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux2"="wdmaud.drv"
"VIDC.MSUD"="msulvc05.dll"
"wave4"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi4"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer4"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux3"="wdmaud.drv"

After saving the file, go to START > RUN > and type 'regedit' and then click OK
In the registry, select FILE > IMPORT and select the "missing.reg" file from your desktop
You should get a confirmation that it was imported successfully.

This is an instant fix ... your speakers should now work for web sounds, no reboot required.

Good Luck!
Thank you very much, Bionik - this worked. Not immediately however - nothing changed until I restarted the computer.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Is this a permanent fix, would you say? Or is it likely to cut out on me again? And if yes, what would you advise doing?

Thanks in advance :)
Spunkiepoo
Anonymous User
Aug 17, 2011 at 07:43 AM
Hi, happy to know that you issue is solved.

And yes, this is a permanent fix, the issue will not happen again.

Have a nice day.
I tried everything to no avail. What finally solved it for me was to find the wave files under windows under the media tab. (C:windows/media) I right clicked on the file, and then properties. I changed the way the files are opened to be windows player by default.

Problem solved.
Oh would you look at that it doesn't work....thanks
I use windows 7 home on an asus laptop. I have no sound with any browser. This did not fix my problem!
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jun 23, 2012 at 09:37 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
Click on the below link and follow the instructions
https://ccm.net/faq/9202-no-sound-audio-from-web-browser
Good Luck
I suddenly lost audio when playing any video through Internet Explorer. At the same time, all of my PC sounds, all audio files stored on my hard drive played through Window Media, iTunes, or any other device.

I contacted Roxio with whom I had recently purchased an downloaded the ne Roxio Creator Pro 2012 which had several 3rd party add-ins. I suspected this was my problem. First, they advised to try an internet-based video through another browser. I downloaded and installed Foxfire and it worked. However, I still wanted to use Internet Explorer. They suggested the followin which worked immediately.

1. Open the Internet Explorer browser
2. Select Tools
3. Select Internet Options
4. Select the Advanced tab
5. Select "Reset"
6. Close and reopen Internet Explorer
7. Try a video
8. Post your success so others can have the same success

Charles
Atlanta
This did not work Still no sound
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jun 22, 2012 at 06:21 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
Click on the below link and follow the instructions
https://ccm.net/faq/9202-no-sound-audio-from-web-browser
Good Luck
Thanks....
it worked!!! amazing it was too easy!!!!
You're a rockstar!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
omg! thank you thank you thank you a million and one times forever and ever!!!!
thank yo sooooooooooo much! ur awesome!!!!!!!
You are a lifesaver!!!!
razor82 Posts 1 Registration date Thursday November 29, 2012 Status Member Last seen November 29, 2012
Nov 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Hi,
I had the same problem and after searching all these forums I'd had enough... I was using Google Chrome when my problem happened instantly out of the blue ,

I Unistalled flash players and all sorts ... , in the end I started using internet Explorer , where the sound worked, so I got rid of Chrome and re-installed it ..

Try un-installing then re-installing your browser, or more drastically changing it all together , worked for me , hope you have some luck with this ....
thank you so much ^_^ im goin crazy a while ago!!! yehey :)