XP fails to make DNS queries

Closed
Sluggo Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday August 17, 2011 Status Member Last seen August 17, 2011 - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:29 AM
Sluggo Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday August 17, 2011 Status Member Last seen August 17, 2011 - Aug 17, 2011 at 02:17 PM
Hello,

I'm close to re-installing this machine - everything I've tried has failed to allow an XP machine DNS resolution to work - I can get to an Internet site using an IP address, either through browser or via ping, but not using a FQDN. The machine simply does not make ANY DNS queries.

It is currently connected via wireless, as a DHCP client, behind a Linksys firewall - and everything looks correct, but it simply will not resolve a name.

Things tried so far;
enabling and disabling the adapters
uninstalling and reinstalling adapters
resetting DNS server to other public DNS servers
checked the hosts file (empty other than loopback entry)
resetting IP settings via netsh

It just doesn't work - I put wireshark on another machine on the network (which is connected to the same WAP and works fine with the same settings) to listen to the transaction, and when the effected machine tries to resolve a name it first does a netbios query for the name (it's in hybrid node), but does not move onto a DNS query. I switched it to peer node and it does not make a query at all.

Any new suggestions would be appreciated, I could have backed up, re-installed and copied the stuff back in less time than I've spent on this.

TIA

Related:

2 responses

Anonymous User
Aug 17, 2011 at 02:10 PM
Can you check if your DNS client service has been started

Go to run and type services.msc

check for dns client service and see if it has been started adn set to automatic
Sluggo Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday August 17, 2011 Status Member Last seen August 17, 2011
Aug 17, 2011 at 02:17 PM
Yes, service is started and set to automatic. And can be restarted, no errors or anything in the event viewer. Still does not execute DNS query.