How to change a password on iMAC without CD

Solved/Closed
Trimor - Aug 22, 2011 at 05:51 AM
 rob - Apr 18, 2013 at 06:31 PM
Hello,

I have iMAC G5,
I need to change the admin. password without a CD and I don't know the old password. Please if anyone knows the way how to change this password it will be a great help.

Trimor

3 responses

Anonymous User
Aug 22, 2011 at 05:57 AM
Hello,

You can try this:

But, it will create a new account and your old files will still not be accessible.

Creating a new Admin on Mac Os X:
Here's how to reset your OS X password without an OS X CD.
the Working solution for me was to create a new admin
you can create new admin like this by deleting a specific file.

You need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:

1. Reboot

2. Hold apple key + s key down after you hear the chime. (command + s on newer Macs)

3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and your good to go again!

Good Luck!
it didn't work after I did that and made a new account it just sits there with a blue screen thinking all day and night
I can't get my imac computer to rest it's password without a disk this is aggrivating
This worked for me, I now have a new password, but did I just erase all the information on my computer? It seems I no longer have any of my original data, pic, music and files...please help!!
Thank you so much, I was at the end of the list of possible solutions and this worked - the second time I tried it .
I cant thank you enough, Ive been pulling my hair out trying to fix it. I worked second time around
Thank you, this worked on a computer I bought second hand. Its not that I didnt have the password, I just wanted to be the only admin on the computer. Now just to make sure if I deletted all their info, they cannot screw with my stuff? They cant use the finder stuff and change the passwords on me and look at my stuff. I didnt buy from a friend, it was craigslist. I just want to be secure, its now like brandnew settings?
Thanks again
Apple mac g4 - password problems

This really worked for me! First time.
Thanks to all concerned and the bloggers which made interesting reading.

I was given a Mac as spare but no discs or passwords. Those that were supplied did not work.
With the instructions here I was in immediately and able to clear out every thing.
It is a more up to date version of my own Mac so thanks again,
Artwork.2000