XP not detecting sound card

Closed
JL2008 Posts 4 Registration date Thursday September 8, 2011 Status Member Last seen September 12, 2011 - Sep 11, 2011 at 10:29 PM
JL2008 Posts 4 Registration date Thursday September 8, 2011 Status Member Last seen September 12, 2011 - Sep 12, 2011 at 08:31 PM
Hi,

I have Panasonic CF-29 that I am trying to fix for my sister. There is no volume. XP does not recognize a sound card. I am not sure if the laptop has a sound card. I never opened up a laptop case. So I prefer not to open the case unless I have to. I bought an external sound card and XP doest recognize it. My PC recognized the sound card. I connected a USB mice and an IPod and XP didn't recognize it either. So there is a problem with USB port. According to ITunes, the previous owner connected their IPod 2 months ago. So the UBS port was working 2 months ago. Any ideas? Will an internal sound card fix the problem? I already updated the chipset. And uninstalled all the devices under USB System controller in Device Manager.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,829
Sep 11, 2011 at 11:48 PM
Laptops do not have internal sound cards. they have audio chips integrated onto the motherboard. Your best bet is to go to the manufacturers web site and download all the driver for your laptop. I would first delete the audio and USB hardware from the Control Panel and then let Windows try to reinstall the hardware and software.

Good Luck
JL2008 Posts 4 Registration date Thursday September 8, 2011 Status Member Last seen September 12, 2011
Sep 12, 2011 at 08:31 PM
I dont see the audio or USB hardware from the Control Panel. And I already downloadad all the drivers for my laptop. Any other ideas? Is it possible the motherobard is bad? I cant reinstall XP. The laptop doesnt have a DVD/CD drive. I dont know how to restore the laptop back to factory settings without a CD. I pressed F11 during boot up and nothing happened.