LAPTOP UPGRADE

Solved/Closed
victoria79 - Jan 28, 2009 at 03:43 PM
 giac0m0 - Dec 11, 2009 at 05:38 AM
Hi!

I really need help very badly. I am moving to another country and I need to upgrade my laptop before I go.

I have an old laptop so with all its hardware. My storage capacity is only 20gb and I would also like to upgrade from dvd-rom to a dvd burner or even hd.

My storage model is Hitachi Travelstar: IC25N020ATCS04-0. I need some suggestions on what possible alternative I can have to increase my storage. My other concern also is that I am not sure about these connectors if the new storage hardware would fit my old one because I really don't know how to identify the names of these connectors.

Lastly, I also have the same problem with upgrading to a dvd burner because of the connector from my external dvd drive to my laptop.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks!
Related:

5 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 28, 2009 at 04:03 PM
That Hitachi hard drive is rather standard. Any 9.5mm (2.5 inch) ATA (IDE) drive should fit. I would limit the upgrade size to 60 GB so you do not have BIOS problems with the new drive. There are a number of internet sites that sell replacement laptop had drives. Most have an online configuration program that can find compatible drives given the make and model or the laptop.

What make and model is the laptop does it have a special cable for the optical drive? You can always use a generic USB DVD drive but you need one with its own power supply.

Good Luck on your upgrade.
Thank you so so much, xpcman, for the immediate response.

Yes, I have a special cable for my optical drive. I checked the cable and it says, style 20379 vw-1. I would like to use the same type of cable if possible.

My laptop make and model is Dell L400. It really is an old laptop, but I still would like to keep it.

Thanks!
I believe, xpcman, that the ATA/IDE you're referring to is an external one. If I am right, what I would like if possible to upgrade my internal ATA/IDE where my other concern stems from because of the connector. It has a small connector compared to the new ones I checked.

Thanks, again!
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 28, 2009 at 09:40 PM
If you look at the hard drive caddy you will see an adapter at the end of the caddy. This takes the standard 2.5 inch IDE (ATA) hard drive and adapts it to the plug that is on the Dell motherboard. That is why it looks different from a bare drive. It is so small that you don't notice it unless you know to look for it.

The Dell L400 uses a "Media Bay" external CD/DVD unit. You can buy a DVD RW that will replace your existing CD unit. You pull out the old one and insert the new drive. You need DVD Burning software (get it free from Ashampo).
I have found the best source for parts for older Dell laptops is Ebay.

A quick search on Ebay (USA site) searching for "Dell L400" found:
a 120GB hard drive #110302642651 with a Dell part number (there were also 20GB and 60GB drives)
two DVD-RW drives for the Media Bay #390026598995 and #350139436729 both Dell original parts

I have bought a number of new Dell items on Ebay and had zero problems. In many cases these are new parts that were purchased by corporations as bundled packages or as spare parts and then sold off when the laptops were retired from service.

I hope this helps.
IT DOES HELP A LOT, xpcman! I AM SO GRATEFUL!!!

Just one more thing, I am convinced of buying your recommended items from ebay. But, you mentioned in your 1st reply that a 60gb hard drive upgrade is recommended because of BIOS. Would it be okay to buy the 120gb you mentioned last or should I look for a 60gb instead, just to be safe?

AGAIN, THANK YOU SO MUCH, xpcman!
Jan 29, 2009 at 11:13 AM
I checked the recommended hard drive size and 120GB should work OK. Go to this site
http://www.drivesolutions.com/cgi-bin/shop/store.cgi?command=features&kind=laptop&pos=0&type=Laptop
and enter your laptop name and model number in their EZ Upgrade Center they list a 120GB drive for the L400.

The hard drive is listed for a fair price and they also offer a transfer kit (Apricorn USB Hard Drive Data Transfer Upgrade Kit) and software that will copy your existing hard drive to the new hard drive before you install it. After you install the larger hard drive the old drive can inserted into the Apricorn case - reformatted to clean the drive and used as a backup USB drive.
All in all a good deal.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH, xpcman! YOU'VE BEEN VERY KIND AND DEFINITELY GREAT!!!

I am ready for upgrade now, all merits to you!

AGAIN, THANK YOU SO MUCH!
i noticed that you seem to know alot about laptops and i need help!
please can you help i have a dell latitude l400 and i want to upgrade the har drive but dont know if all 2.5 har drives will fit in the laptop. i know the max capacity the dell l400 can handle is 160gb but can it ahndle any make?
your help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Alex
Aug 29, 2009 at 01:01 AM
The make of the hard drive should not matter if it is listed as compatible on the above web site.

Good Luck
so for example would this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270399774695
fit in my dell latitude l400?
website that you should me is a little confusing as there are so may makes available
thanks
Alex

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Aug 30, 2009 at 01:24 PM
That Seagate drive should fit

your Dell needs:

* Interface: ATA/100

* Height: 9.5mm

Good Luck
thanks for the help
much appreciated!
Hello - a quick question about that dell connector, my IBM deskstar drive has the flat ide pin that connects to the dell laptop connector directly - hat is this connector calld? I really want the data off the hard disc but cannot fond a cable or adapter to connect to it.

Can you help me?

thanks!