Cannot view folders in External disk G:

Closed
siggi - Oct 18, 2011 at 08:10 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Oct 19, 2011 at 02:21 AM
Hi everyone,

I run windows 7, and the folders in my external disk have all disappeared.
It was infected by a virus / worm recently, and i cleaned it up using AVG 2012.
The disk space usage is still the same, indicating that my data is still on it.
When i use my Windows address bar, (at the top of the screen) eg. "G:\Photos\" it goes into the folder and all my photos are visible again, but i can't remember what all the folder address' were.

I've tried to view them also in command prompt, but when i cd into "G:", and type "dir", it displays: "FILE NOT FOUND".

Could this be a folder indexing directory problem?

Please advise.
Related:

2 responses

vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 38
Oct 18, 2011 at 06:53 PM
Hi

There are loads of viruses that force folders to be hidden. In all my experience, it's in the first directory of a removable disk. Your data is there, you can view it through WinRAR, or you can go to folder options and select 'Show hidden files and folders' AND untick "Hide protected operating system files"

The only way to fix it is tedious. Create a new folder on the disk, and inside that folder, create a folder for every folder on the main directory on your hard disk. I.e- If you had J:\Pictures, make it J:\New Folder\Pictures. You must create this folder. Then, in a new window (for higher speeds), open J:\ and type pictures\ in the directory. the \ is important. Cut and paste everything from there to the pictures inside new folder.

I hope I'm clear.

To avoid this later, have everything on external storage devices in a single folder. So you just have to do it once to fix it.

Once everything is in New Folder or whatever you called it, you can delete the corrupted folders.

Good luck.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 19, 2011 at 02:21 AM
Click on the below link and download the file "AutorunExterminator"

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/5911-autorun-exterminator/

Extract it --> Double-click on "AutorunExterminator" -

This will remove the autorun virus from the drives.

Step 2:

Go to start and type

cmd

Now right click on it and select run as administrator

Now run this command

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*

You can copy the above command --> Right-click in the Command Prompt and paste it.

After getting back files

download the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from the below link

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Good Luck