WD HD stopped working when printer installed

Solved/Closed
Saph - Oct 18, 2011 at 03:40 PM
 Anonymous User - Oct 24, 2011 at 10:03 PM
Hello,

I am looking for some help with a driver problem I'm having. I installed an HP Photosmart C410 printer on my computer and my WD External Hard Drive no longer works. I can turn the printer off and it works, but its an all in one and I need it on for faxes that come through. I'm pretty sure its a driver conflict but I can't figure out how to fix it. I am running Windows XP Home Edition on my computer. I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give, its greatly appreciated!

Related:

4 responses

Anonymous User
Oct 19, 2011 at 03:58 AM
This is most likely a hardware conflict due to the USB ports.

Its better to buy a PCI USB hub

Connect your harddrive or printer to it
Thank you so much Sundar! I went and bought a PCI USB hub yesterday and installed it and it worked perfectly! I greatly appreciate your suggestion!
mikethedike Posts 158 Registration date Saturday August 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 22, 2012 41
Oct 19, 2011 at 04:38 AM
hi

Right-click My Computer
Click on Properties
Click on the Hardware tab
Click on the Device Manager button
Scroll down as needed until you see Universal Serial Bus Controllers
Expand that by clicking on the boxed plus sign in front of Universal Serial Bus Controllers

At this point you should see something like this: "USB2 Enchanced Host Controller"

If it's "Enhanced", it's USB 2.0. If it's not, then it's USB 1.x.

also if u look further below

you will find "USB Printing Support"

make sure it is enabled

to finf out

double click on it

and look atr the under the General" tab look at the bootom option named "Device Usage"
select the option "Use this device (Enable)"

click ok

restart ur system

awaiting comments

regards

Melisio Mascarenhas
mikethedike
mumbai India
Thanks for the advice so far. It is USB 2.0 and the USB printing support is enabled. I will look into a USB Hub and see if I can afford it, I'm on a limited budget.

Thanks again.
I don't know how to close the topic. The PCI USB hub worked perfectly! I appreciate the help! Thank you!
Anonymous User
Oct 24, 2011 at 10:03 PM
Appreciate your feedback.It will definitely help others with same issue.Thanks for letting us know.