XP Missing desktop icons/taskbar

Closed
Jackrabbitslim - Oct 28, 2011 at 08:16 PM
 Biba - Aug 27, 2013 at 05:16 AM
Hi,
My little Dell Inspiron is running Windows xp home. All desktop icons as well as the taskbar are missing. The right button on my mouse does not work, however, the cursor does respond to the movement of the mouse. CTL/ALT/DEL brings up the message that the task manager has been disabled by the administrator. Since I have no icons I have no way of accessing task manager to enable it via administrator privileges. AND I can access BIOS, and set the system to boot from CD, but the machine will not boot from CD. So, what now coach?

Thanks
Related:

2 responses

Anonymous User
Oct 28, 2011 at 11:33 PM
IMPORTANT:

Boot into normal mode

Go to run and type

%temp% and click ok

If you find a folder called smtmp ,copy it to a safe location.

If you do not find it,check here

C:/windows/temp

If you still do not find it,leave it

STEP 1:

You have been affected by recovery rogue.You need follow the same procedure as mentioned.

Boot into normal mode

Go to run and type

cmd and click ok

Now copy these commands and run it

Echo y | reg delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr

Echo y | reg delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer /v NoDesktop

This should enabled your task manager,now launch it

Go to file>>>new task and type

explorer and click ok

Now you should get back your icons

STEP 2:

Copy this and run it on your PC

https://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe

Cure the infections/

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Download and install this.Run a full scan and make sure that you get a clean log

Let me know after this,we can proceed with recovering your lost files
When I switch on My PC it boots normally but when I log on to my account the icon on my desktop and the task bar or the start menu bar are missing it is because the last time I was using my PC I inserted a usb and as I inserted the usb it was switched off automatically ....plzzzzzzz help me