Dollar signs appear while booting up

Closed
Rogerthat - Jan 29, 2009 at 08:52 PM
 Raymond - Apr 15, 2010 at 02:09 PM
Hello,

For the last few days when machine boots up there are lines and many dollar signs that appear on screen and although windows login screen comes up fine after about 7 or 8 secs the screen goes black and monitor goes into sleep mode. If I boot up in safe mode everything works. If I uninstall the video card drivers, everything works good. I have tried updating the driver but have same "multi-millionaire" result. Currently am running chkdsk and am thinking of uninstalling chipset and reinstalling updated version and then updating video driver. Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Related:

11 responses

HI;
almost certain it is a faulty video card, I've been through several over the years (I do a lot of graphics), and sometimes they last and sometimes not. It's usually a heat issue, cards are notorious about getting hot and the companies have to compromise the amount of cooling devices (fans, heat sinks) and the size of the card. It's possible it's from a virus, but what made me most suspect, aside from the dollar signs, was after the desktop came up the picture was reduced to static filled block patterns (that's classic video card failure). One temporary solution is to hold f5 while booting and then choose "enable VGA mode", that will at least allow you to get to your desktop (although the resolution will be really low), and you'll be able to access your email and internet.
I am getting the same result with my Dell Precision 380, with Nvidia Quadro Fx 4400, this occurred after Dota didn't load.

Initial POST and bootup screen is scramble with ASCII characters and lots of Dots and Dollar Signs $$

I am looking at upgrading my BIOS from A02 to A09, I let you know how I go

loi-huynh.blogspot.com
hervejose Posts 26 Registration date Wednesday May 28, 2008 Status Member Last seen April 4, 2010
Feb 20, 2009 at 04:38 AM
I think that the problem is due to maliscious program, if I were u I try to scan on line my PC
I have flash my mainboard from A02 to A09, but problem still exist.

Then try flashing the video card using NVFLASH, with the --eraseeeprom switch did not fix the problem

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
hello everyone...got the same problem..hmMm.. although I can change my video card..can somwone tell me what made those dollar sign..just to prevent it in the future...thanks
Ok I just encountered this issue myself and it appears to be a worm virus, you should be able to catch with avast or better, this worm virus appears to be tied to certain facebook applications so be careful of which application you run in future.
Mister S > Mister S
Nov 9, 2009 at 11:45 AM
Update: the $$ signs were still appearing after the worm was removed, so tried formatting, flashing the bios and VGA bios, still no joy, switched the graphics card and the problem has gone, looks like whatever it is aims for your VGA card, picked the virus up from facebook, so be extra careful about what applications you choose to use on facebook.
It was the which is attached to the motherboard, I was quoted $400 by a computer repair shop and quoted $300 by HP, sent it in to HP and got it back in a week in working condition with a replaced motherboard.
Hey, Rogerthat,

Have you figured out the solution to your problem yet? I have been experiencing what may be the exact same problem. I tried a system recovery (with backup), and that got me to where I can at least boot outside of safe mode (I still see the dollar signs after the BIOS screen, though), but now I am stuck with a generic video driver, because any other driver that I install puts the monitor to sleep when booting (like the original problem). If you get it figured out, let me know. Thanks.

Windows XP Home
Geforce 6800 Ultra
FYI:

It turned out that my video card was bad and I needed to replace it.

A.
thanks for the reply........turned out it was my video card as well...everything is good now after I replaced it
hi...I had same problem with my laptop. I have a Dell and the problem was that some how it thought it was using a docking station. Once I went into setup (F2)..I changed it back to no docking and the machine worked fine.

All I can think is that I hit something or touch a setting unknowingly. Hope this helps.
I'm having the same problem(I think). For me, I was playing Eve Online and suddenly it got all messed up. I restarted and my post screen was jammbled with periods. Then when Windows was getting ready to boot up, the screen would be lines of dollar signs. After windows finished booting up, instead of it logging me into my machine my display was messed up, then after a few seconds I'd get a Blue Screen and my computer would restart.

I ran a virus check in safemode with AVG but it didn't find nor fix anything, so I decided to reinstall Windows and it worked just fine... that is until I finished running updates, installing drivers and AVG again(fully updated), When I plugged my two SATA drives back in after getting windows all set up, the problem happened again.

I have a feeling it is some sort of virus, but I'm currently unable to get rid or it, help would be appreciated...
Same problem no soloution found yet. Changing the video car seems to be the only soloution(doing that on a laptop sounds like another thing). Tried new hard drive no help. safe mode works fine.
I had this same problem. dollar sings on start up.
I didn't think much of it since it didn't seem to do anything except slow down some websites and have the dollar sings on start up.
I got rid of it as I formatted and upgraded to windows 7 from XP.
BUT 3 days later the problem came back. I've tried restore, virus scans, malware scans, uninstalling and reinstalling and updating drivers, tried it all in safemode, nothing seems to be working.
easy fix seems to be just to replace the vid card, but I want to figure this out.
will try to reformat again to see if it will get rid of this problem as it originally did.