Pen drive not detecting XP

Closed
Simmi - Nov 6, 2011 at 03:20 PM
 jack - Nov 10, 2012 at 07:26 AM
Hello,

I have windows XP. When I plug my pen drive (it works on other PC/laptop) in any of my 3 USB ports, nothing happens, absolutely nothing. When I my printer it detects the printer. When I check my device manager instead of showing USB controllers it shows a grey diamond shape with Unknown. Can anyone help. I tried most of the solutions on here but still no success.

Thank you
Related:

20 responses

Anonymous User
Nov 6, 2011 at 03:49 PM
Go to run and type

diskmgmt.msc and click ok

Can you see your USB there?

Check if your USB gets detected on other PC.If it doesnt get detected then USB is faulty
Yes it works on other PC's
no I can not see use
Anonymous User
Nov 7, 2011 at 11:22 AM
Right click on the unknown device>>properties

Click on details tab

Select ''Device instance ID '''

What info do you get?
Anonymous User
Nov 6, 2011 at 07:04 PM
Do you have a UPS?

Turn off and Unplug your PC from power sources.

Wait for a minute,turn on and plugin the USB

Let me know if it works
Tried it but still not working
On my device manager, the last item should say USB controllers but instead its says Unknown. If I right click and click on properties I get a General tab and in that tab it just says Unknown. If I expand that Unknown then I have various items,

Intel(R) 82801EB USB universal host controller - 24D2
Intel(R) 82801EB USB universal host controller - 24D4
Intel(R) 82801EB USB universal host controller - 24D7
Intel(R) 82801EB USB universal host controller - 24DE
Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced universal host controller - 24DD
USB Mass storage device
USB Mass storage device
5 x USB Root Hub

If I get the information you requested on the USB2 device then the details are as below:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DD&SUBSYS_74701462&REV_02\3&13C0B0C5&0&EF

thank you
Anonymous User
Nov 7, 2011 at 11:55 AM
whats your PC model number

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
I checked in the device manager - I don't see USB controller instead all I see is a grey diamond box with unknown next to it. If I click on it there is usb stuff in there.

Checked my usb pen drive on another laptop, works ok
Thank you
Thank you sundar for your continued help. I have tried the above as suggested. Left it off, unplugged for about 5 mins but I still no luck. On my device manager I can't see the USB controller, instead I am still seeing the grey diamond shape saying unknown.

I am open to further suggestions - many thanks
Cybercom PC MT6 - Med MT 190 if that makes sense
Medion uk

let me know if this is not enough information

Thank you
Anonymous User
Nov 7, 2011 at 01:22 PM
Download this

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?DisplayLang=en&id=23008

Restart your PC,plug in USB and see if it works
I did download that but it has error as I have SP3 installed. Another thing I noticed now as I got the sound on which I normally don't. When I plug my usb pen drive you can hear the audio sound of something being plugged in so I guess it is detecting it but still remains the fact that USB controller is not showing in the device manage.

Thank you very much for being patient with me.
Anonymous User
Nov 7, 2011 at 06:24 PM
If you can hear the sound,i would recommend you my previous step

Disconnect pc from power supply and wait for an hour.After that turn on the PC and see if it works.

Last step would be to format your PC and check
Ok thanks I will leave it overnight unplugged. Not done a format before although would be good to try but too many implications

Thank you

ps I had a strange reply through this forum, well an email from "this" forum. Its someone who wants to get acquainted with me and also gave me his personal email address- strange
Anonymous User
Nov 7, 2011 at 06:40 PM
I removed it,just ignore those things.Do not provide any emails in public forums.
i am unable to detect my pendrive after turning off my system
I have found a program that shows all my usb past and present called USBDview. Would that help?

Email ignored

Thank you
Anonymous User
Nov 7, 2011 at 06:56 PM
ya ,try it'

good luck
How can I attach an Excel attachment?
Anonymous User
Nov 7, 2011 at 07:04 PM
I dont know if we have that option.

You can upload it to

www.speedyshare.com

and post the link
I'll try but I can't find the address to the actual USBDview of my drivers but I have copied it on Excel. Not sure how I can link that, saved it on my desktop
Cheers
Ok done it, sent the excel file. Let me know if you got it. That is very clever. :)
Anonymous User
Nov 7, 2011 at 08:41 PM
where did you send the excel file?

You need not send any files.
Anonymous User
Nov 7, 2011 at 08:43 PM
If unpluggin power doesnt work,go to device manager to uninstall all the USB controllers ,turn off your PC

Start it after sometime.Plug in the USB
I uploaded the file to Speedyshare.com. Pc been off all night still not worked:( I will next try your other suggestion.
Tried your last suggestion. Still can hear the pen drive being plugged in but not showing and still saying unknown instead of USB controller. I think we have exhausted all possibilities unless you have more tricks up your sleeve. Thank you very much for your patience
Anonymous User
Nov 8, 2011 at 02:22 AM
Now the option is to try a format ,probably the issue may be with ports which can detect USB 1.1 but USB 2.0 types

Also I asked you to paste the link from speedyshare here.

Anyway I'm out of ideas,let me know if something else works out.My suggestion would be to format your PC and try again
I have pasted the speedyshare and uploaded the file so not sure where thats gone. Would would you like me to do with the speedyshare link?

I see if I try a few more things but thank you very much for you help and support
Anonymous User
Nov 8, 2011 at 02:44 AM
Thanks for being so nice but I dont think I need the link right now.If you are ok with formatting go ahead and try it.
Thanks you too. Not sure I'm ready (or ok...lol) with formatting. Not done it before. Will let you know if I get any results.
Anonymous User
Nov 8, 2011 at 02:51 AM
good luck
Not performed a format. Tried a different pen drive, that one works on my pc but my pen drive don't work on mine but works on others