C Drive seems full but it shouldn't be

Closed
tm0501 - Dec 2, 2011 at 03:10 PM
shaan_e Posts 1 Registration date Sunday September 1, 2013 Status Member Last seen September 1, 2013 - Sep 1, 2013 at 06:18 AM
Hello,

I have few programs on my computer yet the C drive is full. I looked under computer management and I have 3 partitions. One, is the C drive, it says NTFS, E says FAT32, the other doesn't have a letter in front but says FAT. Last year I reinstalled my operating system and I suspect I did something incorrectly. For example, under C:Windows there's a system32 folder and a New\system32 folder. I've looked at a few options including merging partitions but I'm afraid to take another misstep. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have XP on a Dell Inspiron E1505.
Related:

13 responses

I deleted the FAT32. Which turned 4.34 GB into unallocated space. My C drive still says 29.7GB is used, the capacity size is 31.1GB. Any other suggestions on how I can find out what is taking up the majority of my C drive? Or suggestions for increasing space on my C drive?
Delete it from the recycle bin also.
Am following u guys...Got the same problem... help me too... Deleted Recycle bin files. free space of 27MB increased to 1.17 GB. C drive still FULL at 37.2 GB......thnx
Anonymous User
Dec 3, 2011 at 08:24 AM
//One, is the C drive, it says NTFS, E says FAT32, the other doesn't have a letter in front but says FAT.//

NTFS-your C drive

FAT32-probably your recovery partition.You can remove it if you have your recovery CD

FAT-diagnostic partition,only a small size is being utilized by this partition.You need not remove it.
Anonymous User
Dec 5, 2011 at 09:10 AM
Open your C drive

On top

Go to Tools-Folder options

Click on View tab

Check mark '' show hidden files

Uncheck Hide protected operating system files''

Click ok

Now check size of system volume information folder and pagefile.sys
Anonymous User
Dec 5, 2011 at 08:09 AM
What is your harddrive size?

//3 partitions. One, is the C drive, it says NTFS, E says FAT32, the other doesn't have a letter in front but says FAT.//

40 GB? thats low.

I'm sorry but its time to upgrade your harddrive
Yep...got 40 GB too..

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
My C drive is 32GB. That may be the problem. It just seems like one minute I had space and the next it was zapped.
Anonymous User
Dec 5, 2011 at 08:23 AM
If it was sudden change then did you install any software?

Do you see any malware symptoms on your laptop?

What is the size of program files and windows folder?
My program file is size on the disk is 2.9; size is 3.6
My windows is size on the disk is 8.95; size is 10.5
I haven't seen any malware symptoms lately, but I did have some problems last year which required me to reinstall my operating system.
system volume information is 615MB
pagefile.sys is 1,560,576 KB
Anonymous User
Dec 5, 2011 at 10:13 AM
Till now everything looks normal

Can you check other folders?
Documents and settings folder
Docs & Settings is locked..
13.6GB
Anonymous User
Dec 5, 2011 at 10:41 AM
Download

https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/FreeMyDisk.shtml

Launch it

Check mark Select all

And click empty selected

See if that reduces space.Other than usage from appdata and temp folders there is nothing suspicious I find.
Anonymous User
Dec 5, 2011 at 10:49 AM
I'm sorry but I just now find something suspicious

//My windows is size on the disk is 8.95; size is 10.5//

This is a bit high.

Can you say me the size of system32?

i want you to run a chkdsk on your C drive
I have 2 system32 folders. One is windows\system32 (size 132 MB); the other is windows\new\systems32 (size 1.35GB). I'm running the chkdsk right now.
shaan_e Posts 1 Registration date Sunday September 1, 2013 Status Member Last seen September 1, 2013
Sep 1, 2013 at 06:18 AM
guys, this seems like a problem of sync center in windows. go to sync center,,manage offline files,,, and then click on the disable offline files and probably might have to restart ur pc until it takes effect. try this...