Connected to the internet, but not really.

Closed
cygre - Dec 11, 2011 at 12:31 AM
 rizwan - Apr 28, 2012 at 06:24 AM
Hello. I use a Sony Vaio S Series, with Windows 7 Professional (64-bit). I connect wirelessly to the internet.
The computer says I have Internet connection. I think the signal strength is quite strong since there are three to four bars. I looked at the status, and, at the Activity section, bytes are being sent and received; There's like 100k bytes each right now, and still counting.
The problem is, when I try to browse using Chrome, Firefox or even IE, none of them can load a page. I've tried different websites to no avail (and yes, "Work Offline" is off.) I can't sign in to Skype or any sort of messenger either, the reason being that I apparently have no Internet connection. Yet the computer insists that I do. I tried the Diagnose and nothing came up.
The laptop has some built in softwares to help me connect to wireless networks, but I don't think they're the problem since for the first few days I could actually use the internet without issues. (Also, it has this Vaio Easy Connect, which I think is supposed to detect connection problems--it says nothing is wrong and that I can start browsing the web)
If you're wondering how I'm writing this right now, it's because I'm on a MacBook--apparently also connected to the same network, also in the same room and location as my Sony laptop, except it has working Internet.
I know there will be a response to tell me to contact my ISP (for some reason), but I'd only do it as a last resort because frankly, their customer service is horrible.
Thank you for your time. I will eagerly wait for your response, and to provide additional information.

4 responses

Anonymous User
Dec 11, 2011 at 08:04 AM
If your MACBOOK works then your ISP may not help you

When did this issue start?

If you have any antivirus or third party firewalls.uninstall it and check

Can you browse in safemode with networking?

Click on Start ,go to RUN and type

cmd /k ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig.txt

and click OK

Now go to C drive ,open ipconfig text file and paste the contents here
Anonymous User
Dec 12, 2011 at 09:01 AM
Trend micro is known to block internet connections

Click on start button and type

Trend micro diagnostic toolkit

and press ENTER

You should have an option to STOP ALL the components

Can you browse now after stopping it

When you start the PC,press F8 to get the advance start up menu

You can find option to boot into safemode with networking
Thanks for the reply. It began about two days later, and by then I've had installed Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Security Essentials, Skype, and my aforementioned internet browsers--Plus all the necessary Windows updates. The computer came with Trend Micro Titanium, so that was already installed--but its firewall has always been and is still off. Turning Windows firewall off does not seem to change much, either.

Following your instructions (while also being entirely unsure what it means) I've tried the cmd thing. I got an "Access is denied". I hope this isn't too odd. I am using an admin account, but it's not the account that was pre-created; Would that affect anything?

I'm also not sure how to get into Safemode--unless I intentionally cause my computer to shut down improperly; I'd rather not do that. But if that's the only way...

However, since today, I've been getting odd periods of time when I am able to actually use the Internet. But after a few minutes it suddenly won't work anymore. And then it works again. Erratic. It's almost as if my laptop's being temperamental. Ha.

Thanks again; You've given me more things to consider. I'll tweak around and see if something works. Further advice would be appreciated.
Thank you so much for replying once again, sundar. I've stopped all components of Trend Micro as you suggested--Internet browsing isn't showing any changes.

But I could browse flawlessly when I went into safemode with networking! I suppose this has something to do with other software interfering with my connection.

So I tried to disable any option along the lines of "share info" or "send data" in antivirus programs, and it seems I can finally browse normally--But it's not as fast as it could be. Then I quit Vaio Smart Network (which is supposed to help me connect or something) and it's suddenly as fast and flawless as this Macbook.

Thanks again sundar! Your advice lead me to the solution. I hope this post helps others in the future as well.
Anonymous User
Dec 13, 2011 at 08:54 AM
Thanks for sharing the info
guys. im also facing the same issues as cygre. brother, if you can help me, I would really really appreciate it. And yes. I too am using my brothers Macbook and its working perfectly. I thought