Windows XP reboot loop

Closed
Marty_Jones - Jan 8, 2012 at 07:56 PM
 mikey - Jun 18, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Hello,
I bought a used Dell Inspiron 6000 and gave it to my girlfriend after a few months. Aside from being a little slow, it worked fine. But now all of a sudden it's rebooting on its own. It gets to the Dell screen, then automatically goes to the safe mode screen. Regardless of which option you choose, it keeps doing the same thing over and over. I've read some posts and it says to disable the automatic restart on system failure, but I can't even get to safe mode now. When I do get to safe mode the "blue screen of death" flashes briefly then it's right back to the Dell screen.

I'm not a computer expert, but I know enough to suspect it's a hardware failure, but I'm not sure. Just want to know if I can fix it without having to take it in and possibly loose all the info on it. Buying a new laptop is NOT an option at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Related:

1 response

got this from a forum on this site somewhere...didn;t have a 4 on file"intelppm", but I changed it all the same..so far worked fine

it has to do with your registry after installing sp3,i had it and fixed it myself,below is what I did after going on in safe mode. HOW TO STOP ENDLESS LOOP REBOOT FROM SP3 1.) First, boot into Safe Mode. After a reboot or two, you'll probably be given that option, but if not, just tap the F8 key a few times once you see the Windows logo pop up on your screen. 2.) Once you're in Safe Mode, go to Start, Run and type in "regedit" (without the quotes). 3.) That will launch the Registry Editor. Next, you'll need to navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Intelppm4.) Once you're there, look in the right hand side pane for an entry that says Start. Right click it and select Modify.5.) In the Value Data box, replace the 1 with a 4. Hit OK to exit the Registry Editor and then reboot your computer.