To get cell contents into Excel file property

Solved/Closed
jansch Posts 1 Registration date Friday January 20, 2012 Status Member Last seen January 21, 2012 - Jan 21, 2012 at 12:54 PM
venkat1926 Posts 1863 Registration date Sunday June 14, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen August 7, 2021 - Jan 21, 2012 at 06:34 PM
Hello,

Can you please kindly help me to solve the below interesting issue? (I will make my best to make myself understood, which is sometimes very difficult)

I need to see DIRECTLY in Windows Explorer (I use Win Xp) what is contained in the cell A1 on Worksheet1 of an Exel file (most often, the contents of the cell is a date in special Excel date format = yyyy-mm-dd, but sometimes the contents is a text). The purpose of all this is to sort Excel files (according to the contents A1 of the particular file) directly in Windows Explorer without the need for opening the files.

I hope that this could be realizable by transferring the contents of the cell into one of the standard Excel file properties that can be seen in )Windows Explorer) Details View (eg. Description, Subject or any other property) every time on saving the Excel file.

In addition:
- If the contents of the cell is "preserve", the Excel file property should be left as it was before I opened the file.
- If the contents of the cell is "delete", the Excel file property should be (strange to read)deleted.
-----------
EXAMPLE:
On saving the Exel file, whose cell A1 in Worksheet1 contains "2012-01-05", this date should go into the Excel file property Description.
- However, if the contents of the cell is "shall be done later" then "shall be done later" should go into the property. If the contents is "preserve", the property should be left as is. If the contents is "delete", the property will be deleted (empty).
-----------
I do wonder: is this somehow realizable at all? I will be very grateful for any solution.

I will be very glad to give you any more explanation.

Very many thanks in advance!
Jan
Related:

1 response

venkat1926 Posts 1863 Registration date Sunday June 14, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen August 7, 2021 811
Jan 21, 2012 at 06:34 PM
see whether this suggestion is ok
you can append A1 value in the name of the file
e.g. a1 has entry rv
the name will be
xxxxxxx rvv.xls