My laptop won't start

Solved/Closed
Andy - May 6, 2008 at 02:52 AM
 bob - Oct 19, 2012 at 04:00 AM
Hello,

i think I got a virus. I was on Firefox when my computer spontaneously shut down. When I try to restart it the computer tries to restart but then shuts down again within a few seconds. The computer doesn't even have time turn the screen on again before it shuts down. Please help!
Related:

78 responses

_neo__ Posts 7 Registration date Wednesday May 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 8, 2008 2
May 7, 2008 at 08:48 PM
soon as your pc boots start pressing f-12 then reboot from last known good configuration
thanks, got my laptop working again, thanks to you.
my laptop won't go on the internet browser what do I do?
_neo__ Posts 7 Registration date Wednesday May 7, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 8, 2008 2
May 8, 2008 at 07:51 AM
ALSO ON START UP START PRESSING F8 TO GET INTO DOS MODE TELL THE COMPUTER NOT TO AUTO RESTART THEN APPLY THE CHANGES AND BOOT FROM DOS LAST WORKING CONFIGURATION.....
try taking the ram out and then putting back in my dv2000 was having the same problem two days ago and it fixed the problem.
Hi, my laptop will not start either. A few months ago something was spilt all over it, since I dried and cleaned it out its been working relatively well. Then all of the sudden nothing. The lights turn on and the fan goes but nothing no startup. I cant even get to the dos mode. I have an HP G60. Any information or tips you could give me would be very appreciated, I'm at the end of the line here.
Thanks a lot,
Ty
my laptop is also a hp G60, I accidentally left it on all night on a soft surface, and now it wont turn on, I mean the on light turns on but the screen remains empty, black. Do you have any tips?
I think I have the same problem. No matter how many times I push the start button, my laptop sounds like it's about to start and then shuts off. There is nothing on the monitor (the monitor does not even come on), but I can hear the fan. Were you able to figure out a solution to this problem? I appreciate any advice you can give.

Thank you!

Z
Hello guys, I got the same problem just last night , I left my hp dv6338 downloading some stuff and yesterday morning I left it turn off before go to work, when I came the computer didn't turn on, I could see just the light that flashing for a 1 second and then nothing happen, I tried to take out the battery and turn on the computer again and nothing happen, but guess what tonight I'm typing from my laptop, just try this, press down the power button and hold it down, and then with the button press down , press F12 , and vuala the computer will boot normaly, I'm trying to find out why this happened, I hope you can fix you problem.
hey, we have the same dumb problem. its starting to happen more often. do you think the pc is gettg too hot?
i ran avg scans and no viruses, only spyware that im getting ready to get rid of.
wb, and let me know how its going with your pc.
\
anyone have any thoughts on this problem, let me know....
on subject type in : laptop answer

thanks,
That has been happening to me as well, I got so frustrated one night because it had been over a monmth since my laptop was able to boot, so I sorta hit the bottom of it, turned it on, nothing happened, just the stupid lights turning on. then I turned it off and decided to place my mouth directly on the vents leading to the harddrive and memory card and blew semihot air into it. I ddidnt think it would work and turned on the laptop again and was about to chuck it on the floor when all of a sudden I could hear the harddrive whirring and I was like "holy shit, it works!!!"
Hey!

I'm having the exact same problem with my HP. Lights com on and nothing else happens... I truned it off and on about 40 times on saturday and finally it booted up. Do you have any idea what's causing thins?

How is yours working now? I'm just keeping mine in standby and hoping I can go a few months withough shutting it down... I've restarted it a few time (installing updates) and it turned back on no problem.

I have a feeling it might be a build of dust/dirt inside. I'm going to open mine up when I get a chance.
Christian > perry
Dec 30, 2008 at 03:32 PM
Same problem with my HP, I took the battery out and plugged it in. and its working right now....wonder if I can put my battery back in now...hehe
Brandon > perry
Mar 16, 2009 at 08:26 AM
It's a RAM issue. HPs and especially Compaqs are notorious for RAM issues. Your problem is a RAM issue; I'm 99.9% certain.
Oh my goodness dude, I jusstt read your reply to one of the "laptop won't start" forums and it was hilarious, especially the "holy shit, it works!!" part. But let me tell you, you are one of the few lucky ones that it happened to. My laptop has not started back on since a week. I tried difference chargers but it just doesn't start on. I don't know what to do. Oh well, just thought I'd stop by to say that I loveed your response...
Saks
I have a presario HP laptop which is less than 1 year old. I was on the internet and it froze. I managed to turn it off by having to disconect power and battery. When I tried to turn it back on the fan would sound, the lights would come on and then after a few seconds it would turn itself off. It would then repeat the process again and again. The screen would constantly remain blank I took it to PCworld who believe it is the motherboard. Does anyone think that this could be a correct diagnosis or should I be trying something else?
Hi, i've been having the same problem for about 7 weeks now. I have try a number of solutions, however, I do have to agree with PC World and say its the motherboard! I have tried all the software solutions to no avail and also hardware! I am not sure if the Bios may need flashing, however. if that does not resolve it, it could damage it more. Failing that, anyone no were to buy a motherboard from....:)

Sam Tate
Just yesterday i've got this problem. I left my notebook to download smth and went to work. Suddenly when I came back I saw it doesn't work it froze. I managed to turn it off. But when I powered it, just lights are turning on after some seconds laptop turns off and after some seconds it turns on again, and this process repeats. Have anyone any suggestion how to manage this problem. Thanks in advance!
Karen > baker
Dec 9, 2008 at 12:10 AM
my HP shut down - can't boot it up - screen black - did you have any luck with yours ? thank you - Karen in CA
well my sisters laptop would go through the startup the turn of then on and repeat and my dad ran somthing I don`t know what some sort of diagnostics test in the start up thingy and vwala it worked again I know im not of much help but try to find somthnig to run
hfgslb2 > Karen
Jan 30, 2009 at 06:56 AM
Karen, if you've got one of the 2-9000 v or dv series notebooks you may be experiencing a common problem of motherboard failure. HP and nVidia are addressing this issue by providing a one year extension on the warranty for a free repair. Check out this liink: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=1817074

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Ok I have a compaq laptop.

when I hit the power button.

The computer starts up (you can hear the hard drive and fan start) but then it shuts off right away.
then it starts again, then it shuts off. then again (like its going on, off on, off, on off.

does this for a long long time. never starts the windows or goes into the bio's.

I remove the bat, and power to stop it from doing this.

then I try again. same thing. so I do my steps over. try again. this time it worked.

now im on the laptop no prob even using it to type this message.

but I know as soon as I power down. it will take me a long time to get it to stop the (on off on off)

so what do I do in that case?
Your laptop is probably overheating, which means the solders points on the graphic processor are damage by now. But it can be fix it is a long process
Same problem with an HP Pavillion dv9000 laptop. I took it out in the cold garage, blew it out with the air compressor, took it back in and it started up. Before that couldn't get it to power up on battery or AC, blue lights would come on, it would make a little noise for a few seconds, and power off, no bios/os/screen at all.
That has been happening to me as well, I got so frustrated one night because it had been over a monmth since my laptop was able to boot, so I sorta hit the bottom of it, turned it on, nothing happened, just the stupid lights turning on. then I turned it off and decided to place my mouth directly on the vents leading to the harddrive and memory card and blew semihot air into it. I ddidnt think it would work and turned on the laptop again and was about to chuck it on the floor when all of a sudden I could hear the harddrive whirring and I was like "holy shit, it works!!!"
I'm having a similar problem with my hp pavilion laptop, its been going on for about a week now. Whenever I close it when I'm done with it and come back to go on it, it is a black screen but has all the lights on so I then have to restart it and it usually takes it anywhere from 10-15 different tries to sucessfully start up and then when I go on firefox it won't remember any of my passwords or anything. I have to do this every single time I want to use it any suggestions? thank you! :-)
Hi everybody! I have the same problem on my sisters HP dv2000 laptop (1year old laptop) I have to turn it on and back 1-10 times to boot up. does anybody have any idea how to fix this. I took out hard drive and memory but it was the same. So I guess HDD and DDR are not the problem. There is fresh system restore cause I tought that there might by some virus or so. thank you :)
I to am having the same problem... first off if I let it loop for about 20 mins it will boot.. so I did a complete computer disassembly removing dust dirt grime anything and replaced the thermal paste and pads scraped the heat sink gunk off and clean all the parts with duster made sure all the connections were in place and tight.. and after about the whole 45 minute process after it was all put back together I tried booting and still the same problem so I called HP and they isolated it to the motherboard so I am going to buy one off ebay for about 140... unless your pretty amazing at circuitry and can isolate motherboard burns or anything like that I would suggest to buy a new motherboard off ebay hp charges 399 for the board thats not including service fees and all that
johnymemo Posts 1 Registration date Friday December 26, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 27, 2008
Dec 27, 2008 at 03:53 PM
i just finished reassembling my HP pavillion ZX 5000, But the problem is sill there. Power turns on, blue power lights show up but there is no sign of activity. the screen is dark and cant even get to BIOS. I tested the hard drive on another computer and it works fine. At one point I removed the extra memory and when I replaced it similar thing happened but it worked after 2-5 on/off trials...but this time I made like 10-15 on/off trails, still not working...I am hoping something is unhooked..
johnymemo - have the same issue. 2 things that might help. I keep getting it to start sometimes and not others. I read a blog which I cna't find anymore and the blogger said to press f1 after it got to the state where you would think it should start. It works everytime for me. The blog went on to say that the problem has to do with the little internal battery on the motherboard dying. No way I could fix that myself but if you seem to know how to do that. Let me know on here.
Meg123 > OhMan!
Feb 28, 2009 at 02:48 AM
TO OHMAN!: THANK U!!! THANK U!!! THANK U!!! U R AWESOME!!! I TRIED EVERYTHING AND RIGHT WHEN I WAS GETTING READY TO QUIT. I HIT F1 WHEN I TRIED TO START IT AND IT WORKED!!! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!
reine > OhMan!
Mar 23, 2009 at 08:17 AM
OMG! OMAN I WANT TO THANK YOU! I DUNNO WHAT TO DO ON MY LAPTOP THAT KEEPS ON RESTARTING!
TNX TNX AGAIN!
Chris Carlson
May 9, 2009 at 03:45 PM
Okay I might have the same problems as you guys do, I press the power button on my laptop than the lights(no screen) comes on than 3 seconds later it shuts down.My laptop was still working on Wednesday night than when I came from from school Thursday afternoon I move the mouse a little, but the screen didn't come on just the lights(Power, Blue tooth, Wifi etc, little blinking lights by the corner of the laptop) than I noticed it was frozen I guess so I unplug my laptop power cord than took out(disconnected) the laptop battery so the system could turn off.Once I did that I plug in the cord than the Battery and press the power button on my laptop than the little blinking lights turn on for few seconds than turns off..

Please help me~!! give me any suggestions.

P.S: I've tried disconnecting the power outlet and battery several times in and out, i've tried everything you could do without going to Bestbuy and getting it fixed.Also I have several times disconnected my power outlet and battery fron the cpu/laptop whenever it frozen.It doesn't have Virus(might have) just games stored on it

[Note]
My cpu is a Dell Inspiron 1721 Home Premium Window Vista(almost 1 year old).
I have the same problem with my hp dv6000. I take the battery out and put the laptop the freezer for about 5 minutes and it usually starts after that. I also checked the memory, HDD and software, no problems. Guess it's the motherboard. Now I just leaving it running 24/7. Next time I'll buy a Dell or Acer...
for all who having problems with labtop automatically just shutting off a key problem could be the fact that its overheating when your labtop gets too hot the sensor in the labtop tells it to shot down and when it reaches a cooler tempature the labtop will be able to turn on again. I first noticed this whenever I have my labtop on the bed because of it being on the bed it stop the hot air from being able to leave the labtop making it hot but when its on let say a desk its able to release the air if you want to use ur labtop on ur bed or anywhere besides a desk you might want to use a cooling pad that has fans this enables the labtop to stay cool without overheating thus keeping your labtop on it can cost around 10 -20 bucks hope this helped
its a hp pavilion 1x 1000
the screen wont turn on....all the light are on but there's no image on the screen..the light wont turn off...help plz
I have a hp and the same exact thing happened to me and I have2 take the battery out put it back in and hit the power button and after a few times it starts up goodluck
Well I have had the same problem. At first I thought that the cause of this was that I play on my laptop too much, but when I went to best buy, to have it checked, they said that the mother board was overheated. They replaced my laptop with a new one.
Howdy yall,

There is a serious issue with the GPU used on a lot of these series notebooks. The trouble resides with the fan being tied to the CPU and allows the GPU to overheat because of this.

-HP claims the problem is a simple fix. 1. If your warranty is still in effect you can send it in. 2. They are going to flash the bios using their BIOS driver update. So you can too by going to their website and using their BIOS driver update (as they call it.)
-Or if your warranty conveniently expired beyond their extention which I had not read about until it croaked. You can still do #2.
-Or worse yet. You're using Vista. It tried to update. It failed and buggered up your harddrive. Now you can't run the driver update because it ONLY works in a windows environment. "
-So here's a list of things you can do... IF you have experience with computers and a loving caring friend with the same type of harddrive your now dead HP uses you can have him install the program on his hdd move it into your computer and install it on the random chance it starts up.
-But you don't have that friend. Get a live copy of linux (let's just say UBUNTU) and load the WINE environement and then find a miracle way to configure it to get their stupid piece of software to install the much needed driver. Then email me because I couldn't do it.
-None of that makes sense? Well shit, take it to a repair shop or call HP and let them charge your an arm and a leg for a problem they allowed to happen. =)

Sorry HP can't/won't help you,
former HP notebook user
I believe what HPuser meant is this <a href="http://techmata.blogspot.com/2008/12/problems-fixes-and-workarounds-with-my.html">link, Problems, workarounds and fixes with HP Pavilion laptop.</a>

Actually a very nice post, unusual way of fixing the no display problem but actually worked.

Be specific next time mate.hehe
I too have the same problem as a lot of you. My HP laptop is only a year and a half old. My next laptop (or any other computer) purchase will definetely NOT be an HP.