Ask a question Report

Help! Hp laptop won't start up!!!!!! [Solved/Closed]

Me - Latest answer on Dec 3, 2013 11:33AM
Hello,
My hp laptop just shut down while I was using it and now it shows the windows starting but then it goes to a black screen with nothing but a blinking underscore in the top left corner ! I really need this laptop for school work. What happened? Can it be fixed? And if so what can I do ?! Please help! Oh and I tried pressing f8 or f12 an stuff nothing worked except f2 and that only says startup check on the bottom then goes to a page with system info
Startup test run in test system tuneup hard disk test memory test batt. Test error log and exit. I don't know much about comps. So I have no clue what to do , please help !
Read more 
Answer
+104
moins plus
I have a windows 7 laptop and it won't start also. The repair doesn't work and when I try to regular start it, it takes a while and then it goes to a blue screen and then shuts down. Please help I need it for homework!!

Answer
+49
moins plus
Me,

Operating system means Windows or Linux or other.

If Windows what version? 98, XP, Vista or Win 7 ?

Do you have the operating system's disk?

If you are running Windows XP try to go in safe mode tapping F8 while booting. If you can do that, we are on the way to recovery.

Good luck

pete- Jul 5, 2012 08:39PM
i have the same problem but my hp computer runs windows 09 what should i do?
kyeomi 1Posts Sunday November 18, 2012Registration date November 18, 2012 Last seen - Nov 18, 2012 03:20AM
How about if im using windows 7 please help me!!!!
hp lover- Aug 14, 2013 08:42AM
I have a windows 8 HP laptop every time you turn it on it says enter administer password or power password when you type it in it says PC couldn't start properly it tells me options like try again or start up settings and UEFI settings please someone help me
hp lover- Aug 14, 2013 08:49AM
it didn't work all it did was turn off!
jose- Sep 17, 2013 11:34PM
i have same problem and i used my recovery cd and is not working. My laptop is HP noteboook and is runnin windows vista. Cant get it boot up..
thanks
jose
Answer
+36
moins plus
Thank You roommates Pavilion 7000 DF871AV would not start. This is the first thread I read. Tried the steps below and it worked.
1. Unplug power cord
2. Take out battery
3. Hold down power button slow count to 30 and then let go.
4. plug power cord in (leave battery out at this point) push power button.
5. When screen comes on pick "Last Known Good start up" worded something like that. All should return to normal. You should lose nothing.
let everything start back up like normal
6. Shut down computer as normal
7. start back up as normal if all goes well it should start up as it always did.

Good luck

If all else fails ditch Windoz and install Ubuntu 13.04 (Linux)

far- Oct 20, 2013 01:32PM
Wow it worked . Thank u so much . I was freaking out
aind- Nov 24, 2013 08:17AM
i have linux 13.04 but am facing the same problem.
SSC- Dec 3, 2013 11:33AM
Thank you so much! Worked great. You saved me!!
Answer
+17
moins plus
I have win 7 and no I don't have any disks .. F8 doesn't do anything unfortunately .. Anything else I can do??

Answer
+12
moins plus
Dear Me (or is it dear you?)

Have you tried this?

To determine if the HP Recovery Manager is operational, press the power switch to turn on the computer, and then repeatedly press f11 during the startup. If the Recovery Manager is operational, the computer will display a prompt to either (1) recover the operating system from files stored on the recovery partition, or (2) create a set of recovery discs which does not require the purchase of a replacement recovery disc.

If you need to purchase the disks, you will find all the information you want on this link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00810334&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4307222&tmp_track_link=ot_search#N29

Best of luck to you.

P.S. @kieferschild thank you.

Me- Feb 19, 2012 05:21PM
Also, if I do take it to a place, will everything be deleted from my laptop???
Me- Feb 19, 2012 05:24PM
I don't see why my other comment isn't showing on my phone. But I said that nothing happened when I did that and that I couldn't see anything on the bottom of the laptop just a sticker and I can't make out what it says at all really. But thanks for the help!
Relieved- May 1, 2012 08:24PM
OMG!!!!!You saved my life and my marriage. Daughters pc crashed and shes out of town. Husband freaked out, thinking it would cost hundreds. Several geeks looked at it today. Told me it was done and gone! Thank you thank you thank you
haaji- Oct 27, 2013 01:18PM
amazing ty ty ty
Tia- Nov 26, 2013 08:38AM
F11 does not work, still nothing happens - power light is on and fans make noise that's it
Answer
+12
moins plus
This happened to me, i was on youtube,fb stuff like that. then it got really slow, then froze so i manually shut it down, now it has a black screen, no cursor , no nothing. i cant f8 or f-anything. i dont know what to do, not a techie. at wits end Y.Y

Answer
+10
moins plus
Same thing had happened to me. My laptop runs on Windows 7, and whenever I start it up it goes to through the normal process and then straight to a blak screen with a blinking underscore in the upper left corner. Any idea on what ai should try? I don't care if I loose any files or anything.

Mickey- Jul 5, 2012 11:51AM
Pressing f8 during start up does nothing for me. It still goes straight back to the black screen with blinking cursor.
kieferschild 1872Posts Sunday October 5, 2008Registration date ContributorStatus September 1, 2015 Last seen - Jul 5, 2012 05:42PM
Can you get to the startup recovery?
you need to run the startup repair at least 3 times before trying anything else.

also, in the startup recovery you can choose to do a system restore, try that.

alternatively do a "chkdsk C: /f" (without " ") from the command prompt and see where you get.
Anonymous- Feb 24, 2013 05:43PM
Simply press ctrl + alt + del and ... you are done !!! :)
Ziggie- May 10, 2013 01:54PM
Iim having the same problem ive already done a recovery it erased everything back to factory settings and it will do everything right but when it turns off it goes straight from gateway screen to the blank one. Only F2 and Alt+F10 do anything and F10 stops at a 'please wait a moment' screen. ive already dealt with the bootmgr is missing problem thats why i had to erase everything
capricorneOne.- Nov 28, 2013 03:40AM
Turn off. Turn back on & push F12.It will work
Answer
+5
moins plus
Dear Me! (Funny expression isn't it?)

What do you mean he left for school? Oh... you must be from the west coast.. you people just got out of bed and had breakfast!

You are quite welcome and please let me know the outcome.

Good luck

Me- Feb 14, 2012 08:54PM
Yes, it was! I meant he left as in went away for college. Lol and okay I will do that ! Thanks once again.
Answer
+5
moins plus
Hi :)
Why not just install Ubuntu or some other Gnu&Linux? Then access all your Windows data, files, pics, etc from there?
Regards from
Tom :)

Frank- Jun 17, 2013 02:26AM
You can if you don't partition the whole hard drive. Some programs will not work with Linux. And some files will not open. I know I have a Linux box with Ubuntu 13.04 and a Dual boot Win XP and Ubuntu 11.04 LTS (Long Term Support) Some files will not open on this system Ubuntu to Win and or Win to Ubuntu. And if they do you will have to reformat your fonts MS Word to Open Office and Open Office to MS Word. So use caution.
Answer
+4
moins plus
Do you get anything by pressing

alt+ctrl+del ?

Me- Feb 12, 2012 03:40PM
All at once? I tried and nothing happened but when I press f10 it takes me to something called bios setup options? What is that and anything I can do there? Or anywhere else??????
Answer
+4
moins plus
Lol he left for school but I will call and ask him. And okay I will try that. Thank you so much for your help and time!! I appreciate it.

Answer
+3
moins plus
Booting means start the machine. That just to check for accumulated static as laptop sometimes accumulate it which results in a black screen.

If your brother did not move on the hidden side of the moon, perhaps he may still have the disks in a closet somewhere?

Ambucias 22696Posts mardi 2 février 2010Registration date ModeratorStatus September 1, 2015 Last seen - Feb 13, 2012 06:12AM
P.S.

Remove battery an press on holding power button for 1 minute then connect adapter to it followed by pressing power button. Now make a shutdown ,connect battery and adapter.
Answer
+3
moins plus
Further to this, manufacturers don't supply windows OS discs because of the expense.

They will however supply recover CD's for the specific laptop.

HP tend to use a recovery partition which is preinstalled.

you may have noticed you had another partition on the laptop?

generally this can be accessed from boot up by pressing F11.

Frank- Jun 17, 2013 02:47AM
I lost my Recovery Disks for my Compaq and HP sent me new ones for like $10.00 for the set of 2. 1 OS CD and 1 Application and Driver Recovery DVD. Please do not post info that is false. It does not help anyone. And yes my laptop was way out of Warranty.
Answer
+2
moins plus
Dear Me

What operating system are you using?

Can you boot in safe mode?

When did the problem occur, in other words, what were you doing just before the problem? Did you install new software or hardware?

What is the model of your HP laptop?

Do you use any torrent download programmes or other peer to peer applications.

Is there data in your laptop which would prefer not to loose in an eventual system restore.

Regards

Me- Feb 10, 2012 02:09PM
I have no Idea what an operating system is or the model of the laptop xD . No I didn't install anything I was just on YouTube and facebook and it just shutdown on me and when I tried to start it up this happened. Just grad pictures and bookmarked pages but if I have to I wouldn't mind. I saw somewhere you need a disc to do that or something? Because I don't have one!! Anything I can do to fix this?????
Me- Feb 10, 2012 02:13PM
And no I don't think I can go on safe mode. Nothing works it's just the black screen with the blinking underscore only thing I pressed that changed that was f2
Me- Feb 10, 2012 02:56PM
Hp pavilion g6 I THINK
Answer
+2
moins plus
Yes, I meant all at once.

Bios is the inner hard disk language which integrated in all hard disks, necessary to receive the operating system.

I don't know where you got this laptop, but I am 100% sure that HP supplies every buyer with a set of Windows' CD's, especially if Windows was installed by HP and HP installs it on all its computers.

If you purchased your laptop second hand, the person who sold it to you must have those disks, they are part of the computer and they are unique because the key.

The only other option is to go on the HP site and purchase a set of recovery disks.

Had we been able to go further, I would have guided you to your laptop's recovery partition, usually in "D", but in this case, we are not getting any reaction from the poor beast.

Just in case, remove the battery and cables. Try to boot.

Good luck

Answer
+1
moins plus
It was my brothers laptop, and he purchased a Mac book and gave me this one. I checked the box it came in and couldn't find any discs :( but if I purchase it from hp will that fix my comp.? And I know sucks right? What a bummer. And alright I'll give that a shot , how do you boot? Lol xD

Rose- May 9, 2013 12:31AM
I know why your model is cause I have the same one. U have a hp pavilion dv6000 or dv9000
Answer
+1
moins plus
@kieferschild

I beg to dissagree with you but HP does supply Windows disks when Windows is OEM (manufacturer installed) which also contain many HP applications as well as an antivirus on a three month trial version. The recovery partition may also ask to insert Windows disks.

Regards

kieferschild 1872Posts Sunday October 5, 2008Registration date ContributorStatus September 1, 2015 Last seen - Feb 15, 2012 05:00AM
Cant find anything. check the bottom of your laptop.
Me- Feb 17, 2012 01:39AM
There's nothing on the bottom but that was what was on the box so I think that's it
Frank- Jun 17, 2013 01:21AM
I ordered HP disks and got Windows XP ( Re-Installer) Recovery, and Application and Driver CD's
Frank- Jun 17, 2013 03:07AM
Windoz(s) XP HE SP2 ( Re-Installer) Recovery CD, and Application and Driver DVD. Compaq was bought out by HP the year I bought my Compaq V2410US (Last true Compaq made) and the recovery disks have Compaq/HP stamped on them. They do not have a Product Key (You will have to contact MS for that and shell out some $$$$)if that is what your referring to kieferschild then you are right.
Answer
+1
moins plus
I thought I just replied o_O. okay, I did but unfortunately nothing differny happened. Sucks, but I guess I will just have to find a place to take it. Thanks so much for the help! :)
Ps. I don't see anything under the laptop just a sticker and I can't make out what it says

kieferschild 1872Posts Sunday October 5, 2008Registration date ContributorStatus September 1, 2015 Last seen - May 2, 2012 05:42AM
Hi There,

i've found some documentation on how to recover using HP's tools.

see here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01895783&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4062&product=4307222&rule=1953&sw_lang=

You'll find the 2nd and 3rd step apply to you.

let me know how you get on.
Tweezy- Jun 3, 2012 10:18PM
Hello. I am having an issue with my laptop also. It shut down on me when i was on youtube. When i restarted it , it took forever to come on. When it decided to come on i was getting a black screen with blinking cursor. Then the windows screen came on where i enter my password. After i got into it, it didnt load how it normally does. I have windows 7. When it came on it looked like the very old windows 97 or something at the bottom (my tool bar), then it said could not connect to windows server. Can u help!?
kieferschild 1872Posts Sunday October 5, 2008Registration date ContributorStatus September 1, 2015 Last seen - Jun 6, 2012 07:36AM
when in that mode go to start > type "run" and press OK.

when the run box opens up type "msconfig" and press OK

once in there make sure the startup selection is set to "normal startup" and click Apply.

Click on the boot tab and ensure "Safe mode" isnt ticked (if so untick it and apply).

Click OK and reboot.
This document entitled « Help! Hp laptop won't start up!!!!!! » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.