Monitor blacks out,CPU fan works,no restart

Closed
niketyad - Mar 31, 2012 at 01:02 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Mar 31, 2012 at 06:47 PM
Hi guys and whatever help you could give me on this bizzare issue would be more than welcome.

Sometimes my monitor will just black out,the cpu fans keep running though.But however its not a monitor or a driver issue at all since not only have i changed graphic cards and updated drivers but when an mp3 is playing in the background and this happens,the mp3 stops playing too.So i assume essentially the computer crashes but there's no restart and the fans keep on running.The only way to get back to normal is to unplug the system and then start it again.

Its not a power supply issue either.The psu can easily support the whole thing.No heating problems either.All temperatures well within limits.No problematic cables too.I have read in a forum that I might have some problem with my motherboard,specifically some burnt IC's.Could that be?

The computer is a 5 year old Pentium D with a Gigabyte motherboard.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Mar 31, 2012 at 04:04 PM
You have what we call an unstable motherboard. This can be caused by a number of things:
1. failing components on the motherboard. (normally capacitors not ICs)
2. failing power supply
3. unstable power line voltage levels.

Given your location I suspect you may have under/over voltage problems with your house power. A UPS with a large battery may be able to adjust for this.

Have you tested the PC in another location?
Thank you for your answer xpcman.The power supply here is quite stable and regular but the PSU though only a few months old,is a generic cheap one.Also there are random restarts which happen quite a few times too.

Can the motherboard be repaired if it is indeed the cause or am i better off with an entirely new processor and motherboard?
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Mar 31, 2012 at 06:47 PM
There are limited things you can repair on a MB. Some people have had success with replacing bad capacitors (you can spot a bad one if they are bulging). But, It takes some experience with a soldering iron. A new Core Two I3 or I5 is so much faster than your Pentium D I hesitate to recommend any money be spent on repair. Is there a possibility of borrowing a different power supply from a friend? It's the easiest part to replace/test.

Good Luck