Toshiba satellite not starting up

Solved/Closed
Danielle - Jun 17, 2012 at 05:57 PM
 AquilesOswaldo - Oct 20, 2012 at 01:12 PM
Hello,

My toshiba satellite isn't starting up. I get the screen that says to hit F2 or F12 for something then it goes to a black screen with a blinking white line in the top left corner. Please help!! This is my only lifeline for finding a job and I can't afford to fix this!!

Thank you!!

4 responses

venu619 Posts 36 Registration date Thursday December 24, 2009 Status Member Last seen March 18, 2015 14
Jun 18, 2012 at 06:34 AM
The problem might be with the Boot Manager.
Try to fix that up or have a New Operating system installed with the current one formatted.
What do you mean by "fix that up"? Can you please be more specific in your answers.
AquilesOswaldo
Oct 20, 2012 at 01:12 PM
2) Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook.

Hi, above instruction was copied from http://ccm.net/forum/affich-535794-toshiba-black-screen-won-t-start.

It has worked for me, thanks.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jun 18, 2012 at 07:07 AM
Hello,

Try this 1

Go to BIOS --> Load default settings --> Make sure that your hard drive is

detected --> Set the first boot device as "Hard Drive" --> Save the settings

and exit from the BIOS.

If the problem still exists then let me know your "Operating System" and

do you have your operating CD\DVD with you ?

Good Luck
Is BIOS what I get when I hit F2 at the Toshiba screen?

When I go to the "Boot" section I can't tell if the hard drive is listed. Is that "HDD"?

Here's more info that I had posted on another forum (sorry for not being specific earlier):

When I turn on my Satellite L305-S5875 I get the Toshiba screen (with the F2/F12 options) and then it goes to a black screen with a blinking cursers in the top left corner. I've been scouring the Internet and I can't find a solution to my problem and nothing (that a non techy-person can understand) works.

I've tried:

1. Turning off, unplugging, removing battery, holding power for 2 minutes, plugging in, holding escape while turning on (no difference)

2. Hitting F8 when the computer starts (doesn't work...Computer gets angry and starts beeping back at me while flashing me the cursor)

3. Hitting F2 and resetting startup to default (no change)

4. Hitting Shift 5 times to turn on sticky keys (see angry result from option 2)

5. Many other things that were just dumb. I don't want to restore to factory settings and lose everything. I don't have access to another computer (very easily) to create a Recovery disc. And even if I did I don't understand what that does or how to do it. I want to avoid losing programs that weren't part of factory settings because I won't be able to reinstall them (windows/adobe were borrowed from a friend).

Hellllpppp Please!!

Thank you! Danielle
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jun 19, 2012 at 01:36 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
HDD is the hard drive. Click on the below hyperlink "BIOS:
BIOS
Are you able to see the hard drive brand name and model number as shown in that above image next to 1st Drive.
Go to boot sequence and set the first boot as HDD or Hard drive.
If the problem still exists then let me know your operating system. Do you have your operating CD\DVD with you ?
Good Luck
Hi all,

Thank you for your help. My friend was able to fix it; the RAM was bad and he had the exact piece needed laying around. :)