Acer Laptop freezes on start up [Solved/Closed]

Ask a question Kezza - Last answered on Apr 21, 2017 at 12:27 PM by Bobby
Hello, Please can someone help me! I made the very big mistake of letting my anti virus run out and in the process got viruses. I have now got a new anti virus that sorted some of the problems out - but couldnt get rid of all of them - now when I try and turn my laptop on it loads up to the desktop but then freezes almost straight away - not giving me a chance to click on anything - I have tried re-starting it time and time again but every single time it freezes. Is the Laptop now completely broken or is there anything I can do??? It is an Acer Laptop and it has Windows on it - not sure which one but its not the most up to date - as I got the Laptop 2 years ago.

Please help!
Helpful
+108
plus moins
Just finished repairing an Acer 3500 which was freezing on startup and running very slow, mouse and keypad would stop responding. To shut it down I had to remove the power cord and battery. It would start in safe mode without any problems. The following fixed the problem.
Start in Safe Mode. Open Device Manager and expand Batteries.
Disable the entry "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery".
Close and restart notebook in normal mode.
Hope that corrects the problem it did for me.

Tony
Was this answer helpful?  
Dragonstyle- Oct 15, 2010 at 08:27 PM
This fixed my Acer Aspire 3000 after the latest XP update, thx for the advice!
Vity- Oct 25, 2010 at 06:35 AM
Had the same problem with a travelmate 4070 and that did the trick man, NICE ONE!
Pelops- Nov 29, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Many, many thanks. Tried everything with my Acer Aspire 5000 to stop it freezing on Startup. Nothing worked, even wiping the HD and reinstalling everything and updating the drivers. I took it in to the local Computer repair shop and even they gave up on it after a day.

Then managed to find this post that REALLY WORKS! Pity I didn't find it yesterday, when I ordered a new laptop.

Thanks again.
nutmeg- Feb 16, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Thank you so much! You helped me to with my Acer. Same problem!
Bobby- Apr 21, 2017 at 12:27 PM
Tony, you da man! I tried every other tip, and nothing worked. Your tip speeds up my Acer Laptop in Normal Mode! What the heck batteries have to do with anything, but you are a genius for discovering it! Many thanks. Both my Acer Laptops are working much better after using your tip!
Helpful
+8
plus moins
If your machine is infected your best bet is to re-install the operating system. You could try logging into the machine in safe mode, This is usually done by restarting the pc and after or during the Asus splash screen keep hitting f8 until a black screen comes on with white writing. one of the options should say Start safe mode. Select that option and see if you can logon, if you can and you dont have a problem try running your anti virus scanner again while in safe mode.

Please let me know how it goes. There are other things I can get you to try just message back.
Kezza- Feb 9, 2009 at 09:12 AM
thanks Richie

I will try it when I get home tonight and let you know tomorrow - when you say re-install the stuff on to it - do I require a disc to do that???

Someone told me in order to put the stuff back on I need a disc, but I never got one when I got the laptop - would I just order one of Acer?

Thanks
Helpful
+3
plus moins
Remove the battery and it will start !!!
tom- Jun 5, 2010 at 02:38 AM
right on!!! As with Big Tone. This problem seems to stem from battery problems. My mouse pad/keyboard goes slow and freezes up soon after booting up. Can't even use the power button to shut down - have to unplug and remove battery. Before all this happened my battery seemed to be on its last leg - literally lasting about 2 minutes on its own.
So now I have removed the battery and it works fine.
Will further go on to do what Big Tone recommends.
Thanks
Helpful
+2
plus moins
The chances are my friend that acer will have installed a restore partition, read your documentation when you get home. Normally its just a key combination on start up but try what iv said first.
Kezza- Feb 10, 2009 at 07:40 AM
Hey

I tried what you said and it did load in safe mode - but then it froze again....what does that mean?? is it bad??

Kezza x
saleh- Aug 4, 2010 at 05:29 PM
hey man I got this problem because my litle borther used to hit the laptop while playing, making it hit badly on the ground, so what I knew that whe nthe laptop hhits several times on the groud on any of it sides, well some chips in it stop working beccause they got severly damaged, and making electricity working with big dificulty to get to your chips.
*THIS includes that you should go to someone that repairs laptops, but you should go to some one you trust or else he will change some stuff from your original laptop with other that are half damaged or broken, and tell him your problem and let him check out your laptops Chips and he will very fast know your issue and help you out
*and every thing that you try to do in safe mode and blah blah blah wont work
Good Luck hope I gave you the Best Answer
saleh- Aug 4, 2010 at 05:30 PM
*Hey man I got this problem because my litle borther used to hit the laptop while playing, making it hit badly on the ground, so what I knew that when the laptop hits several times on the groud on any of it sides, well some chips in it stop working because they got severly damaged, and making electricity working with big dificulty to get to your chips.
*THIS includes that you should go to someone that repairs laptops, but you should go to some one you trust or else he will change some stuff from your original laptop with other that are half damaged or broken, and tell him your problem and let him check out your laptop's Chips and he will very know your issue and help you out.
*AND every thing that you try to do in safe mode and blah blah blah wont work
Good Luck hope I gave you the Best Answer.
Helpful
+1
plus moins
If you have Windows Xp as your operating system then you can do a repair easily. a Repair is when only the system files get replaced by deleting them and installing them again. Unlike format, you keep all of your data, but you are going to have to install your drivers again like the sound etc.

Do you know how to do the repair?
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Boot from your XP disk, then in the windows instalation at the first screen press ENTER (do not press "R" at the first screen!) Then press F8 then to agree with the license agreement, then press "R". Follow the rest of the steps.

To boot from your XP disk, go to your BIOS. you can access your bios by pressing delete when you start your computer. Somewhere in your BIOS there should be a function like " First boot device" Change that so that its boots from the cd. Save and exit.

Hope this helps..

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?