Connecting 2 pc's with a crossover cable

Solved/Closed
tehruoh - Feb 9, 2009 at 12:35 PM
 Grim077 - Nov 14, 2009 at 11:36 AM
Hello,

I currently am running two laptops with Windows XP professonal. Im wanting to know if i can buy a crossover cable and share my (ick, here it comes) dial up connection (freakin countryside!).

Both boxxes have NIC's installed as well as the ICS services.
If it is possible, how would I go about sharing the connection?
Related:

8 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 9, 2009 at 02:54 PM
Yes you can do that. You need to run the "internet sharing Wizard" on the one you use for dial-up and follow the instructions. Good Luck
connecting 2 pc's with a crossover cable
Is it necessary to use a cross over cable when sharing the Internet connection between two computers both using XP Pro?
XPCman, I tried what you said and now i am able to view files on each computer when browsing,

However, my internet connection does not appear to be shared. Any Assistance?
Yes, it will work, but will be sloooooooooooow.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Just use a Ethernet cable cut it in half and just connect the Orange/White and connect it to the Green/White then connect the solid Orange to the solid Green here you can use this for help if you want to Link: http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7347/howtomakeacat5crossover.png
Also... I can view the files as i said, But I cannot ping the computer with no internet connection...
yes you can share just go to https://turbofuture.com/computers/How-to-share-an-internet-connection-on-LAN and find your answer. but sharing dial-up would be very crappy. Thanx
dawooddoe Posts 404 Registration date Saturday February 21, 2009 Status Member Last seen November 12, 2010 109
Mar 28, 2009 at 11:57 AM
Yes, you can make it work, but as what others said, the connection can be very slow. You can take a look on this Internet connection sharing tutorial to get more ideas to make it works.