WD External Drive. Can't assign a drive path.

Closed
lowbuz Posts 1 Registration date Saturday September 22, 2012 Status Member Last seen September 22, 2012 - Sep 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Sep 23, 2012 at 03:35 AM
Hello,

My PC doesn't recognize my WD external drive which is connected via USB.
In DISK MANAGEMENT, it does not show up as any volume in the middle top of the screen.
Down below it does show as Disk 1, and is online and unallocated.

what can I do so my computer will recognize it.

Thanks

Related:

1 response

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Sep 23, 2012 at 03:35 AM
Hi lowbuz,

If you are using altogether a new hard drive, or a hard drive without any important data, you can probably go ahead and recreate a valid partition in the unallocated space. You can follow the steps below:

1. Click start and type diskmgmt.msc in the search box.
2. Click diskmgmt from the search results.
3. Right-click the unallocated or free area and then click New Simple Volume.
4. Read the Welcome page and then click Next.
5. The Specify Volume Size page specifies the minimum and maximum size for the volume in megabytes and lets you size the volume within these limits. Size the partition in megabytes using the Simple Volume Size field and then click Next.
6. On the Assign Drive Letter Or Path page, specify whether you want to assign a drive letter or path and then click Next.
7. Use the Format Partition page to determine whether and how the volume should be formatted.
8. Click Next, confirm your options, and then click Finish.

The Windows 7 Disk Management tool will now show the space configured as a new partition.

Please do write back to us.