My laptop has BSOD, No safe modes, and recovery partition

Closed
SteveXC215 Posts 1 Registration date Thursday October 11, 2012 Status Member Last seen October 11, 2012 - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:53 AM
 Blocked Profile - Nov 1, 2012 at 06:40 AM
Hi, My laptop has BSOD which says kdcom.dll
I can no longer get into any safe modes. i tried ctrl F10 for recovery partion and that wont start up. So i basically cant get into computer at all. It doesnt have a disk drive.
I dont care what is on the computer and i have been trying to find out a way to just wipe out the computer and complelety reset the system but I have not been able to find a way to do it. I have no idea what is wrong with the computer besisdes an obvious virus or something. I could really use some help. If u have any ideas that would be awesome Thanks

Related:

2 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Oct 12, 2012 at 04:12 AM
Hi SteveXC215,

Need a little bit of clarification to assist you better. Please reply with the version of Microsoft Windows on your machine (such as Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, etc.).

Please do write back to us.

Blocked Profile
Nov 1, 2012 at 06:40 AM
Follow these steps if you're on Windows XP and have a Windows XP CD:

Boot From Disk
Insert your Windows XP disc and boot from it. If you don't know how to boot from a disc, during the Sony splash there is, hopefully, a legend that pop's up briefly (most often at the top right of the screen but not always). It will usually say two things: SETUP and BOOT MANAGER. Next to those will be the keys to press to start either. Press the one for the BOOT MANAGER. Unfortunately its not the same for every computer, but usually its something like F10 or F12.

Enter Repair
So once your fully booted into the XP disc, you'll have three options. Choose the REPAIR option by pressing R.

Select Installation
Recovery Console is command based. You'll be asked for the drive that your Windows is installed on. Typically its "1" unless you have multiple installs.

CD Drive Letter
When you get to the prompt C:\WINDOWS>, you will need to figure one thing out before moving on and that's what your CD drive letter is. Try typing "D:" without quotes. When D:\> comes up, type "DIR" without quotes. If a list comes up that has "I386" in it, then remember your drive letter is "D." If not then replace "D" in the above directions with "E."

The Repair
Once you have found your disc drive letter, follow each of the following commands line by line.

C:\WINDOWS\>CD system32
this will move you to the system32 folder

C:\WINDOWS\system32>COPY kdcom.dll C:\
this copy is a backup in case things don't work

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DEL kdcom.dll
this will delete the original not the backup

C:\WINDOWS\system32>COPY D:\I386\kdcom.dl_
replace the D if you have to with whatever your disc drive letter was above. the kdcom.dl_ is not a typo either.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>REN kdcom.dl_ kdcom.dll
renames kdcom.dl_ you copied to kdcom.dll

C:\WINDOWS\system32>EXIT
reboots your computer.