No hard drive detected [Solved/Closed]

Ask a question pbfloyd 4Posts Thursday November 1, 2012Registration date November 2, 2012 Last seen - Latest answer on Nov 13, 2016 08:26AM
Hello,
I turned on my Dell Inspiron N5110 and it said to reboot and said no hard drive detected> It worked fine last night. Of course my warrantee has just expired. What do I do ?
See more 
Helpful
+9
moins plus
Hi pbfloyd,

Try the below mentioned steps to isolate the problem:

1. Power on/Restart the computer and then start tapping the F2 key when Dell Logo appears, the machine will enter System Setup.
2. On the first page that appears see if there is a Hard Drive listed next to Fixed HDD.
3. If the Hard Drive is not listed press F9 key and Load the BIOS Defaults and then restart the computer.
4. If you again get the Hard Drive not detected message, take a technician's help to reseat the Hard Drive(if you wish to do it yourself you can refer to the service manual: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insN5110/en/sm/pdf/om_en.pdf)
5. After reseating if the Hard Drive is not detected again, you need to replace the Hard Drive.
6. If the Hard Drive is listed in Step 2, run Dell 32 bit Diagnostics on the machine (for more details on how to run the diagnostics check the User's Manual page 64: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insN5110/en/sg/sg_en.pdf)
7. If the diagnostics comes up with an error code, do reply to this post with the exact error code you get.

Please do write back to us.

Kar- Jul 14, 2015 03:28AM
Hard drive -not installed...This is what I am getting
deepu- Nov 13, 2016 08:26AM
Me too.. And it's displays a warning ⚠ symbol on epsa pre boot assessment... (
Not the error)
Helpful
+2
moins plus
Hi pbfloyd,

As mentioned earlier, for Hard Not getting detected after loading BIOS defaults/Optimum settings, take a technician's help to reseat (disconnect and then reconnect) the Hard Drive. If you wish to do it yourself you can refer to the service manual:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insN5110/en/sm/pdf/om_en.pdf)

After reseating if the Hard Drive is not detected again, you need to replace the Hard Drive.

Please reply if you have any further questions.
Helpful
+1
moins plus
okay...now it says under Fixed HDD - none
after running ePSA the devices all checked out with the exception of the hard drive. The error message was: Hard Drive - No Hard Drive Detected

If you start up the computer and hit F12 and reboot from hard drive it says:
PXE-E61 : Media test failure, check cable

I have done the F2 and F9 and hit enter on yes to install optimum defaults but nothing changes
zen- Jun 19, 2015 04:45AM
hi pbfloyd,

i got the same problem on dell inspiron n4050
upon entering the bios... it says..

fixed HDD : none
SATA ODD : none

I guess the problem is on board, we try to test the induction coil beside the video chip,
the tester indicates approximately 5v ~ 6v, which must be 19v..
since the dc supply is 19v.

hope some techie guyz out there could help to solve this problem..
Danielsz- Apr 11, 2016 04:38PM
Hi pfloyd!

It for sure worked for me! Thx a lot!
Jessica- Sep 28, 2016 07:58AM
Worked for me too! Thank you!
Helpful
+0
moins plus
okay...next to Fixed HDD it says (0 GB). What does that mean ?
pbfloyd 4Posts Thursday November 1, 2012Registration date November 2, 2012 Last seen - Nov 2, 2012 07:35AM
I did go ahead and press the F9 key and it said Load Optimum Defaults (yes) or (No) but did not say BIOS Defaults
Helpful
+0
moins plus
Hi pbfloyd,

Don't worry about 0 GB message, please go ahead and select (yes), this will load BIOS defaults. Load Optimum and BIOS default is one and the same.

Do reply with results.

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!