How to use conditional format based on text [Solved/Closed]

Ask a question Leanne99 1Posts Friday November 9, 2012Registration date November 9, 2012 Last seen - Last answered on Sep 13, 2017 at 02:23 PM by Slow Bo
Hello,
I want a cell to change colour if another cell contains the words "first aid". The text comes down from a drop down list and could read "First Aid" or "sleepover/first aid". If the cell has "first aid" in it I want the other cell to change colour

I can get it to work if using formula f13=first aid but it won't change colour if the cell says sleepover/first aid?

thanks

Leanne

Helpful
+71
plus moins
Hi Leanne99,

You are following the right steps, instead of "f13=first aid" enters the below mentioned formula:

=ISNUMBER(SEARCH("first aid",F13))=TRUE

For step by step help on this, in your reply please mention the version of Microsoft Excel you are using (such as Excel 2003, 2007, 2010, etc.)

Please do write back to us.

Thanks & Regards
Zohaib R
#iworkfordell
Was this answer helpful?  
prettylilflo- Mar 30, 2016 at 04:25 PM
Thanks a lot :D
Matt- Jun 12, 2016 at 11:38 PM
its 2016 and this answer is still good! I used it to format cells that contained the word "Medium" but the look up was "Medium-8" through to "Medium-18" worked perfectly. Cheers Zohaib R :)
Chris- Apr 21, 2017 at 04:49 AM
Thanks for this post, saved me a lot of time.
K- Jun 1, 2017 at 09:45 PM
June 2017 - Thanks so much Zohaib, I was running in circles and wouldn't have thought of this (self taught, and I still don't understand its logic, but it works so I'm ecstatic!) ~K
Slow Bo- Sep 13, 2017 at 02:23 PM
Thank you! Finally, a solution that worked for me! I needed to highlight every cell that contained 'yes' and this did it.
Helpful
+34
plus moins
Hi, I have 2 columns. I want to chenge the color of column B based on value in column A. If value in A is greater than or equal to zero, color should be green else red(I am doing this with conditional formatting and it works fine.)

Problem:
when the color is changing I want to add a text On track and color green or else delayed and color red. Is that possible?
Helpful
+13
plus moins
Hi Leanne99,

Use the below mentioned steps to apply conditional formatting to the cells.

1. Select the cells where you want to apply the Conditional Formatting.
2. Click Conditional Formatting from the top ribbon.
3. Select New Rule.
4. Click Use a formula to determine which cells to format.
5. Enter the below mentioned formula in Format values where this formula is true:

=ISNUMBER(SEARCH("first aid",F13))=TRUE

6. You will all the cells which have the word "first aid" in it, the cells against them will be highlighted.

Please revert for clarification.
Prachi- Feb 7, 2014 at 01:17 AM
I used the formula but it gives me different result, I mean not correct
deeptis 6Posts Thursday June 19, 2014Registration date July 25, 2014 Last seen - Jun 24, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Hi Zohaib,

This is very helpful, is there a way to make the whole row against the cell with "first aid" to be highlighted, rather than just the cell next to it?
advntr 1Posts Monday August 4, 2014Registration date August 4, 2014 Last seen - Aug 4, 2014 at 07:18 PM
This worked perfectly! Thanks Zohaib!
Oscarossi- Jun 20, 2016 at 01:26 PM
Thank you very much,
Works perfectly.
Oscar N
Helpful
+3
plus moins
Hi Zohaib

thank you so much for your reply. I am using Office 2011 for Mac. I have tried using and OR formula and this appears to be working although a little complex.

Again thank you for your reply

regards

Leanne99
Helpful
+3
plus moins
This is particularly helpful, but can it be extended to respond in other colours where the answer in F13 may not be "first aid", but something else like "health & safety"?

So an either/or function of some sort?
Helpful
+2
plus moins
Hi Grinty,

Please check the below mentioned link:

http://ccm.net/forum/affich-689619-conditional-formatting-change-fontcolor-based-on-another-cell

I have used AND Logical Operator to select three different criterion. Check if this helps.

If you need further assistance please post some more details about your datasheet. In addition, you can upload a sample file to: http://www.speedyshare.com/

Note: Before you upload any files please make sure there is no personal or confidential information contained in it.
Helpful
+0
plus moins
I have two columns with different information. I want to be able to highlight certain information in both columns based off of the information entered. If Column E contains 38, 48, 55, 56, 58, 70 OR 713 and Colum C contains "service", then highlight both cells. I am on Office 2010.

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?