CD-ROM/DVD Drive Won't Read or Acknowledge Any Disks

Closed
mai20 Posts 1 Registration date Thursday December 27, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 27, 2012 - Dec 27, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Dec 27, 2012 at 04:45 PM
Hello,

I'm having a problem with my CD-ROM/DVD drive for the past few days. The problem is that my drive won't acknowledge any of the disks I insert into it.
When I insert a disk into the drive nothing happens. The disk inside the drive does not spin my computer hardly makes any noise as if it were trying to read the disk and finally the disk I inserted into the drive does not show up in the "My Computer" section of my computer. My drive does this for any games I have, CD's or DVD's, nothing can be read.

I've tried updating my driver but when I go into Device Manager and click on my driver (which has a little yellow triangle with a "!" in it) "TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N", it gives me the option to update driver software, however, when I click to do so and I either let it search automatically or browse my computer for driver software the result is the same... failure. Both give me the following message which also appear in the "Properties" section of my "TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N" when I right click it: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)".
*Also, I don't know if these are connected or not but when I am in Device Manager under Storage Controller I have another yellow triangle with a "!" in it next to something called "ANO8M3RB IDE Controller" I have no idea what this is or what it does but I'm having the same problem with that and it gives me the same "Code 39".*

I've checked for solutions on the "Code 39" and Microsofts "Fix It" but when ever it tried to update the driver it failed as well.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver but that results in failure as well.

I have tried shutting down my computer and holding the eject button until the log in screen to "re-calibrate" the laser (I have no idea if that's even what it does but desperate times call for desperate measures) but that had no success either. Also when looking in to the CD-ROM/DVD drive I can see the laser is clearly on, if that makes any difference, I don't know.

I have tried simply just restarting my computer and booting my CD-ROM/DVD drive and the "ANO8M3RB IDE Controller" but it doesn't seem to do much of anything.

I don't know much about computers and have been a bit worried to try a Sytem Recovery because I'm not quite sure what it will do and I don't want to risk losing any files and such.

Another solution I have not tried is some registry solution where I am to remove some upper and lower registry. I have looked at this method on some forums and then have gone to the Microsoft website and saw many warnings that if not done correctly I could lose some important information or something along those lines.

I don't want to believe that my CD-ROM/DVD drive is no longer working because it was as of less than a week ago.

Any help on this would be much appreciated. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Thank you for your time.
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Dec 27, 2012 at 04:45 PM
Hi

Here is Kioskea How-to to fix your kind of issue:

https://ccm.net/faq/4135-vista-how-to-fix-missing-cd-rom-dvd-drive

You may also clean the lens.

Good luck