Error 118

Closed
skeptical9y - Dec 27, 2012 at 06:42 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Jan 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Hello,
I am running chrome on three laptops and all of them have the 118 error and many websites wont load. I can reset the router and temporarily fix the problem. But...it just comes back. Is my router about to die? I dont want to buy a new one unless that is really the problem. When I hardwire from modem to laptop...no problems. But this seems like a strange thing to happen from a router. Any ideas? Please.

2 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Dec 31, 2012 at 01:23 AM
Hi skeptical9y,

I can try helping you, if you can reply with a few more details. I would like to know if this happens in Internet Explorer or in other browsers as well. Also, is this issue specific to any particular website or it happens with all webpages?

Please do write back to us.
missymccoskey
Dec 31, 2012 at 09:05 AM
I am using Chrome, but it also happens in IE and Mozilla. It is random for which websites will and wont load...facebook is often a problem, but this morning I got on facebook...I cant get on my gmail. I usually can load yahoo mail, but not always. Sometimes if I keep trying to load a page, it will eventually let me in. sometimes if I search for facebook instead of hitting my tab...it will let me in on one of the search links. Sometimes it wont. Maybe if I try my mail several times, I might get in. It seems better if mine is the only computer on, but it does not solve the problem completely. If it were more consistent, It wouild make better sense. I can load livebinders and get into anything I have loaded there. Not sure why that would work, but it does. I ordered a new router, but it seems odd that a router would cause this random stuff. But a virus seems unlikely since I can hardwire and solve the problem. Also, I hardwired, loaded all the sites I needed. Quickly unplugged and replugged to the router and was able to work in all the preloaded sites. This is very annoying.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Jan 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Hi missymccoskey,

It might be some background processes or initial startup items that might slow the Internet speed and that is causing the "ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT" error to occur. Try running your computer(s) in "Safe Mode With Networking" and check if the same problem happens. Also in your reply include the Model Number of the Router you are using.

Do reply with results.