Firefox and IE Destroyed after virus. Help :(

Solved/Closed
Dusty K Posts 2 Registration date Thursday February 12, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 14, 2009 - Feb 13, 2009 at 08:41 AM
 leomartintsa - May 18, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Hello everyone, so let me explain how this happened, I got home from work one day and the g/f had accidentally downloaded a trio of trojan worms - Between a combination of msconfig, safe mode, and AVG I was successfully able to nullify the virus, it doesn't run anymore - This I am very confident of.

The problem is that Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer don't really function anymore, or I don't trust them enough to use them anymore. The problem is difficult to describe, but random elements of certain pages refuse to load. Sometimes entire pages do not load. Any sort've Flash interface seems to not function. It could be javascript also. Running Firefox in safe mode does nothing.

I figured a picture might help describe the problem more accurately, currently one of the most busted sites is Penny Arcade. Firefox and Internet Explorer both make the website look like this:

https://www.afternic.com/forsale/kwix.shackspace.com?utm_source=TDFS_DASLNC&utm_medium=DASLNC&utm_campaign=TDFS_DASLNC&traffic_type=TDFS_DASLNC&traffic_id=daslnc&

I also happen to have Google Chrome installed - and the strange thing is that Chrome works like a charm and was obviously unaffected by these viruses. What I want to know is there anyway of repairing my Firefox and IE back to a stable running condition? I mean - I could just use Chrome now, but i'd rather use the browser I enjoy using. I've already tried reinstalling both of these applications with 0 effect. Could this be caused by some sort've registry edit? Perhaps there is something else I can do to help discover exactly what is wrong with them? Any info you guys can give me on what I might be able to do to fix these two applications would be huge. Thanks. I know that it might not be either of them, there are tons of mini apps that get installed as you browse - things like javascript and flash and I worry that perhaps one of them is busted now, but if thats true then why does Chrome work?

Again - any help would be huge. Thanks guys.
Related:

41 responses

Open IE and go to Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN Settings. I haven't had to do it this way but I'll assume they are the same. Hope it helps.
Also fixed my msn.
Thank you so much, Shellipe! This worked for me. Unfortunately, Chrome still is unable to connect. Would you happen to know of a similar fix for Chrome?
I found this on Google's websight.

If Google Chrome seems to take a long time to load a website or search, it may be configured to acccess pages through a web proxy. Check whether the "Resolving proxy" message appears in the lower-left corner of the browser window.

Follow these steps to change your proxy setting (for Windows):

Click the Tools menu.
Select Options.
Click the Under the Hood tab.
In the "Network" section, click Change proxy settings. This will open the Internet Properties dialog.
Click LAN settings .
Deselect the "Automatically detect settings" checkbox.
Shellipe, you seem to be the one to solve everyones problems, could you please try and help me, I was watching a tv show via sidereel.com and went to an external link then I somehow got a load of trojan virus, I downloaded AVG which detected 37 threats and removed and repaired all of them, now when ever I try and open a file or program such as 'i tunes or piscasa or firefox' etc it comes up saying "open with" and a browse option etc, also all the program icons have disapered from the bottom right tool bar, another error message when going to start/programmes/itunes says: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action, Create an association in the Set Associations control panel" I dont no what to do and cannot open anything on my desktop or menu... please get back asap if you can help, GT
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Apr 9, 2010 at 07:38 AM
Hello,

Here is one solution and there are others

1. Download, unzip and run Godzilla Fix:

https://community.broadcom.com/home

2. Download, install, update Malwarebyte and run a FULL (I insist FULL scan)

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

You may be required to reboot during the process.

3. After the scan delete the items found.

Now if none of you comeback to give me some feedback, my spirit will haunt you for etenity and I will cast a spell on your system. I'am serious.
I have had the same problem many times. I was able to remove the virus but repairing the damage, e.g., IE or Firefox will not open. I tried a host of things, namely, resetting IE but what I found today was that I went to the C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Connection Wizard\Run inetwiz.exe\select Connect Using LAN if you are on a Local Area Network, Check Auto Discovery of proxy server, uncheck manual proxy server if checked. Skip setting of email (optional). Hope this helps although you have connectivity, I had none.
I was infected with some trojan yesterday, the result was all three browsers were hijacked whereby search results when clicked on were re-directed to something like this server: xsweetbear.com or something like that, then it took me to a health or insurance website. Ran antimalware/malbytes. It found a few things but did not fix the problem. I ran some more antihijack and antivirus programs off download.com, again they found things but none solved the problem. SUPER antispyware ran for 30 minutes and found 60 items, that seemed to rid the trojans but result was a new problem, similar as above: No conncection on IE or Mozilla, BUT Chrome was fine.

Found this thread this morning, ran "Shellipe's" suggestion and sure enough manual proxy was checked. Unchecked it and voila, IE is up!!! Looks like as a parting gift maybe the trojan changes that setting or maybe it is default, who knows. Had to uninstall and reinstall Firefox, and now that is rocking too. I am going to stick w/ Mozilla going forward, IE blows.

Hope this helps anyone, these forums are phenomenal, thank you. Saved me a trip to the (shiver) geek squad! Death to the trojan maker douches.
Bennett > chigyuy
May 3, 2009 at 09:47 AM
I just finished cleaning out a nasty trojan virus and had to use multiple cleaners to get rid of it. Malwarebytes Anti-malware seemed to do the best job of identifying and getting rid of it. I also used Panda Cloud Anti Sypware and it did a pretty good job of identifying other files.

The problem was once I had cleaned up the virus, my Chrome browser no longer worked and gave me 404 errors for every page. The funny thing was that firefox and flock worked with no problems. I was really bummed because I prefer using Chrome because I find it to be faster than the others. After reading this forum I went to Options in the Chrome browser clicked on Under The Hood tab, from there I clicked on Change Proxy Settings, then I clicked on Lan Settings, I unchecked Use a Proxy Server and checked Automatically Detect Settings.

Works like a champ now. I hope this helps anyone else having a problem and thank you to everyone who previously posted the solution here.
Thanks Very Much Shellipe! You Fixed My Problem Very Much Apreciated .
You're solution worked for me, thank you sooo much!

In order to get my intranet site back for one computer, I closed IE, I used that wizard, and unchecked all the options, and finished the wizard.

Then when I went back into IE, the proxy setting autopopulated and now he can get on the intranet!

It took me 2 weeks to find out that a proxy error was causing one users Intranet not to connect.
Shellipe,

I have the same problem. (removed trojan successfully using a combination of Syware Doctor and CCleaner but IE7 and Firefox hang Google Chrome works fine). One of the first things I checked was the Proxy settings and they are set to auto already. I also tried running the inetwiz wizard and the settings already coincide with automatically discover proxy settings.

Any other ideas????

Thanks in advance
This was my first posting. I'm excited that your happy!! I also ran SuperAntiSpyware and Malware Bytes then adaware to double check. Adaware came up clean. I then ran Security Task Manager to help identify potential threats. Also important to check and disable any unnecessary Add ons (IE/tools/manage add ons).
Thanks for the effort! BUT I cannot get IE (or Firefox) to do any thing !!!
I tried the safemode AVG ... But nothing happens! It does update but nothing else!?
I have tried to remove AVG but there is an error says it wont!
Firefox is supposedly the latest!?

I will try a 'stronger' virus catcher and let you know! Any words of wisdom?
THX: Super Z (and I don't feel so super right now!!!)
Disabling add-ons did the trick for IE and Firefox for me! Thank you!
This worked for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you!!!!!!!!!!
shellipe I love you ! god im so happy right now I couldnt play some of my online game cause of that and now everything is fine !
yomama Posts 1 Registration date Thursday April 22, 2010 Status Member Last seen April 22, 2010
Apr 22, 2010 at 08:09 PM
sorry for takin ur tume Shellipe but ur not done just yet =P i'm havin the same problem but it seems like ur solution only works for XP, cuz i've tried following it to the letter but it ain't workin, oh yh forgot to mention i'm using Win7... and I have no access to IE8 nor Firefox seeing as how they both crash instantly so please any help wud work
I'm having the very same problem, but I'm running Windows Vista. And there doesn't seem to be a Connection Wizard subsection in the Internet Explorer folder. Any chance there is a different way to reset the proxy settings? Or maybe I have to do something completely different?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
osdamour Posts 3 Registration date Sunday June 15, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 8, 2009
Sep 8, 2009 at 02:39 PM
Hello,

I have a big big problem. I got a virus I suppose a trojan which I delected. but since that time I can't get to internet throuth firefox and Internet Explorer. Moreover msn messenger doesn't work. When I try to start those application a little window with a message say : "IE stopped working" "firefox stopped working" "msn messenger stopped working". when I start yahoo messenger it works fine but there is no messages when I try to start IE, firefox and msn messenger. google chrome works fine.

I need your help thanks :)

Configuration: Windows Vista
google chrome
Frozenized Posts 1 Registration date Monday January 18, 2010 Status Member Last seen January 19, 2010
Jan 19, 2010 at 01:18 PM
download lunascap6?
Yo Shellipe! U Rock!!! I usually do not leave msgs on blogs. But you forced me to it dude... I had the System Security 2009 malware on my system. Took hours to remove it only to find that my browers (IE and Safari) did not work. Your fix has restored my IE brower... Will look for a similar solution for Safari.

Once again thanks a ton!!!
I also had a problem with System security and this has done the trick. Thanks man!
I am so glad that I could help! Of course, I had two hands full of hair by the time I finally figured it out.
Shellipe, you are amazing! I also lost IE after removing a trojan virus. I am not very computer savy and your advice worked. I am so happy, thank you!
go to the start menu (green Start button)/Run/type Cmd press enter. When the black cmd box opens, type ping 127.0.0.1. If you see Reply from 127.0.0.1 that means your ethernet card is transmitting and receiving packets.
Dusty K Posts 2 Registration date Thursday February 12, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 14, 2009
Feb 14, 2009 at 09:34 AM
Tried to do a 'full' uninstall of both of them - but the problems still exist. Pages only half load or don't load at all and occassionally I get pushed to a different site.
I thought I answered this a long time ago. Go to start menu, Run type cmd in the run box and when the black DOS screen opens, type ping 127.0.0.1. If it says reply from 127.0.0.1 then your ethernet card is working fine.
thank you soooo much Shellipe!! I searched for hours to solve this issue and you were the only one to submit something that worked. My computer had many viruses and spyware on it, after cleaning those off I could not get online on IE. I tried EVERYTHING on other blogs/boards (including many TCP/IP fix software tools) and nothing would work. I even tried mannually reseting my TCI/IP and Winsock in CMD prompt. Once I cleaned off the DL32.exe virus I could not get back online..

Computer is clean now and finally back online..

Thanks again!
Thank you so much Shellipe and everyone here that posted their problems/solutions. I have had the same issues that everyone else here seems to have had or are having (due to viruses) and spent the past week trying to get our work laptop back online and running smooth.

Thankfully enough the laptop is now finally running firefox/chrome/IE again.

Again many thanks to you all

Cheers

Merk
How do I do it on windows vista? my internet explorer and mozilla both do not open unless I put the computer in safe mode. I tries doing the LAN setting in safe mode but it does not work unless im doing it wrong. When I try to install certain programs in normal mode the computer just just turns off and restarts and goes to the screen where I can put it into to safe mode. Help
For Windows Vista open IE/Tools/Internet Options/Connections/Lan Settings/Automatically Detect/Uncheck User Proxy Server
dubaku > Shellipe
Jun 14, 2009 at 03:29 PM
thanks a million, I gave my laptop to this TURD and now it works thanks to ur advice..now I am back on track...
Shellipe > dubaku
Jun 17, 2009 at 10:36 AM
LOL. Too Funny.
Shellipe > dubaku
Jun 17, 2009 at 10:36 AM
LOL. Too Funny.
Hydrophis > Shellipe
Aug 14, 2009 at 01:15 AM
I have a similar issue, I run vista and IE works fine but Firefox displays nothing but a blank page and Google Chrome says that the Webpage is unavailable, I've run CCcleaner and ESET and they both resolved issues but none of which helped with this problem, its been this way a while and I really want help..so THX in advance!
Bit different one.. but if you want to try then you can..

Go to your Installed IE folder.
..\Program Files\Internet Explorer
You will find iexplore.exe

What virus is looking for iexplore.exe and firefox.exe Kill them.
Dont allow the user to open.

Change the file name to any thing like My_Explore.exe.
Make shortcut of it on your desktop.
Simllarly do the same thing for firefox.
Open IE and Firefox now from this new shortcut.

Bit tidious one.. This solution is the best working solution till date. I know the code of virus but dont know where exactly it attacked. But I know what it is really doing to the process.
SHELLPE"SGROUPIE
May 3, 2010 at 11:46 AM
I WANT TO HAVE SHELLPE'S BABIES!!! REAL MEAN HOLD DOWN SHIFT!
Hey guys,

I've been reading this forum and it's really helpful, but I have a somewhat different problem (maybe it isn't different?). I'm not that great with computers. Google Chrome and Mozilla stopped working after I uninstalled Norton 360 v 2.0...my computer got infected with trojans and what not afterwards. I used Vipre to get rid of the trojans and malware. Like you all, only IE works, and the others don't. The only thing is, I made the mistake of unistalling mozilla and google chrome, thinking that I could reinstall it. Now I can't download google chrome or mozilla from IE, it's not letting me. I also tried downloading a Norton removal tool thinking that I didn't remove it entirely or properly, but even IE didn't let me download the tool. I tried changing the proxy settings and what not, we're just stumped here. Any help would be really appreciated!
Hi Shellpe

Nice to hear that you are a woman, I hope whoever has employed you is paying you mega bucks. After reading all the posts I also had to write for help. I just got home booted up my laptop went to the internet only to find that Mozilla firefox could not connect to the proxy server. I went into tools/options/network/settings and the radio button was on system detect so I changed it to auto detect did I do the right thing or have I got a virus somewhere lurkingto strike back at me? Also my laptop screen comes on very rarely usually it just has a blank white screen can you help a fellow female here?
Check you DNS servers in TCP/IP settings.
Sounds like DNS hijack.
Make sure it's AUTO if DHCP or correct ones if static.
O MY GOODNESSS!!!
Thank you so much for your help Shellipe! I was also running vista have been pulling my hair out for weeks trying to fix my IE. I was just about to give up and shell out hundreds to get someone to come fix it for me.

Thanks again!
Didn't work for me!! I have IE and Vista,checked all the settings and they are as they should be,but still cannot connect through IE. Firefox works fine though?? Can anyone help? It's driving me MAD!!
It is possible that you did not removed all of the virus. Run Superantispyware, Malwarebytes and then Security Task Manager. Also your router may have configuration issues. Check with your IE provider after rerunning the removal tools. Check IE's tools/manage addons. Anything look unfamiliar, especially with a long series of numbers, disable it. It will ask if it is actually needed by a program. Go to registry, and check the run and run once under Local machine/software/microsoft/windows/current version (double click)/Run. Check the Run Hive for any unusual software (google it if you are not sure) and the run once hive for the same. Always back up registry first. Check the automatically detect settings again and make sure everything else is unchecked. In IE Tools/Internet Options/browsing history/settings/View Objects check for any unfamilair objects/ google them remove if found to be a potential threat. Security Task Manager is pretty good in identifying potential threats. Delete temporary internet files and clean all Temp folders (do a search). If I think of anything else, I will post. Good Luck..also, I have found that certain HP model laptops (If this applies) have a recall based on a hardware issue that prevents the computer from detecting wireless. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us. Ping the loopback address to make sure your wireless device is working properly 127.0.0.1.
Hello,

I am sure you corrected this problem; however, if you haven't hears what I learned. After trying all the advice posted here nothing worked. Since I have alread complete clean my hard drive to get rid of the many trogan virus and reloaded Windows XP fresh, I still couldn't get online. After hours of searching I learned that the network adapter driver was missing. I did some research and learned that this is difficult to get unless you have the original driver disk that came with the system. Of course I have no ideal where they are so I am contacting a friend to see if they can help me. Hope this helps the next person.