Hooking up a second computer to wireless

Closed
tofu - Feb 14, 2009 at 12:56 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Feb 14, 2009 at 01:34 PM
Hello,
I have wireless internet at home. My computer was moved into my room and i wanted to hook up my old computer in another room. The old computer has a wireless card in it and has been used with wireless internet before, but not at my current house. I thought it would be as easy as putting in the password but when i do that the following message appears " The network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on the network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters." I'm not good with computers and have no idea what this means??? I don't know what to do, please help me : )

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Feb 14, 2009 at 01:34 PM
Do you have WPA2 encryption on the router? Old Computer implies that the wireless adapter is far too old to support WPA2 (which requires different hardware than WEP and WPA require). Windows XP SP1 lacks a great many networking, especially wireless, fixes and improvements.

So, at a minimum you need to get that beast updated to SP2 and make sure you have the latest driver for the wireless adapter that can support WPA2.

I expect that you then will still need to back off your router to WPA or else get a new adapter that supports WPA2 fo the old computer.

Good Luck