Acer aspire 5100 won't power up in windows vista

Closed
mmdogsrus Posts 3 Registration date Thursday February 7, 2013 Status Member Last seen February 8, 2013 - Feb 7, 2013 at 01:12 AM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Feb 11, 2013 at 06:58 AM
Hello,

Can not start acer aspire 5100 in windows vista in safe mode due to the mouse and touch pads are frozen. This problem happened just after a windows update was added. In an earlier try I did get into safe mode but have not been able to since it crashed again by locking up in a pattern of straight up and down lines.

Every thing is locked up except powering up in normal mode. In normal mode it will go all the way to the usual power up desk top etc. but every thing is frozen. I have tried everything you guys have suggested so far but cannot get any further with out being able to use the mouse nor the touch pad to click onto safe mode highlite. What do you suggest I do now? HELP!!!

Related:

4 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Feb 7, 2013 at 06:58 AM
Hi mmdogsrus,

As you mentioned that the computer freezes both in Normal Mode and Safe Mode, Restore the computer to an earlier date using Command Prompt. Restore the computer to a date when the Windows Update was not applied. Please check the below mentioned link for steps on how to start System Restore by using the Command prompt:

https://support.microsoft.com/instantanswers/62ed802d-7c8d-35d9-9b82-6cace4b08185

Do reply with results.
mmdogsrus Posts 3 Registration date Thursday February 7, 2013 Status Member Last seen February 8, 2013
Feb 8, 2013 at 05:49 PM
To Zohaib R,

Thank you for your support. I have tried The command prompt possibility, however when I get to that screen I cannot get the keys to work and cannot go to safe mode, command prompt etc. as everything is frozen and it will only allow my computer to power up in the "normal" mode as before and then remains frozen at the desktop screen.

What else can I do to unfreeze those keys, mouse or touch pad?
mmdogsrus Posts 3 Registration date Thursday February 7, 2013 Status Member Last seen February 8, 2013
Feb 8, 2013 at 05:53 PM
mmdogsrus 2Posts Thursday February 7, 2013Registration date February 8, 2013Last seen Feb 8, 2013 05:49PM
To Zohaib R,

Thank you for your support. I have tried The command prompt possibility, however when I get to that screen I cannot get the keys to work and cannot go to safe mode, command prompt etc. as everything is frozen and it will only allow my computer to power up in the "normal" mode as before and then remains frozen at the desktop screen.

What else can I do to unfreeze those keys, mouse or touch pad?

Add comment - Edit - Link (#2)
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Feb 11, 2013 at 06:58 AM
Hi mmdogsrus,

As you mentioned the keyboard and mouse/touchpad are frozen, it could be an issue with the keyboard or touchpad itself. Try the below mentioned steps and post the results:

1. Try to run the diagnostics on your ACER laptop.
2. If the diagnostics fails replace the failing part or contact ACER support.
3. If the issue still remains try to reseat the Keyboard and Touchpad connectors and then check again.
Note: this step requires you to reseat the components by removing the system cover/taking apart the chassis. Please perform these steps only if you are comfortable else seek a technician's help. Also, refer to the Service Manual for accurate steps and safety instructions. You can find the Service Manual from here: http://www.s-manuals.com/pdf/notebook/acer/acer_aspire_3100,_5100,_5110,_travelmate_5210,_5510,_extensa_5010,_5410_service_guide.pdf

Do reply with results.