Toshiba satellite mouse pad stopped working [Solved/Closed]

Ask a question wat3755 1Posts Wednesday February 20, 2013Registration date February 20, 2013 Last seen - Last answered on Mar 19, 2017 at 11:45 PM by colonel
Hello,

I was using my Toshiba Satellite and it froze up. I turned it off and then back on and my mouse pad stopped working. My cursur will move and highlight an icon but will not follow the command when clicked. I tried the function key and f9 and nothing.

Thank you for any help provided.
See more 
Helpful
+762
plus moins
Just press simultaneously Fn+F5 or Ctrl+F5 (or Fn + F9 or Ctrl+F9) and that should do it!

Note by Ryan: Try swiping on the touchpad from right to left. This will bring up the little sidebar on the right of the screen and the date on the lower left in Windows 8. Then your touchpad should work as normal. F5 is the button to lock the touchpad. If your problem goes beyond that and is stuck in scroll mode like mine was, try the swipe from right to left and see if that normalizes things. I discovered this trick by accident when trying to wipe dust off my touchpad. ;)
Triple j- Nov 29, 2014 at 01:02 PM
I can move the cursor using the touchpad but the tap feature doesn't work
Phaneendar- Nov 29, 2014 at 09:58 PM
This worked really well. Simple and efficient. Thanks a lot GMasterBMW
nicola- Dec 3, 2014 at 05:19 PM
Ctrl and f5 worked! Thanks!
compnerd212- Dec 4, 2014 at 07:24 AM
thanks you so much saved my day ctrl f5 worked kool 12/4/2014
colonel- Mar 19, 2017 at 11:45 PM
Thank you so much
Helpful
+83
plus moins
it seems that everyone on this page didn't actually have a broken touchpad, they simply didnt know how to turn it on and off, that was obvious.

does anyone know how to fix the touchpad when it works for the first 2 minutes of use but then becomes locked in scroll mode?
Toni- Oct 31, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Thank you so much! This did the trick for me!!!!!
Gabi's Dad- Nov 6, 2014 at 10:34 AM
WOW! Thanks! The Alt-Ctrl-Delete answer worked. I was able to fix my Daughter's laptop. No excuse now for not doing homework not need to get a new laptop THANK YOU! Thank You!
srewit- Nov 7, 2014 at 08:24 AM
none of this is working for me
tayler- Nov 8, 2014 at 06:29 PM
This isn't working for me the synaptic icon option doesn't even pop up in the task manager.
mima- Nov 14, 2014 at 12:16 PM
your suggestion worked for me thank you.
Helpful
+71
plus moins
If you can't side swipe. Hit CTRL + ALT + DEL .... go to task manager... Go to the synaptic touchpad icon, click or right click.... and press End Task. Your problem should be solved.
Moe- Nov 10, 2014 at 06:12 PM
YEA!!! this worked!!!
cty- Nov 17, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Thank God
thank you this has just worked after all else failed
Helpful
+53
plus moins
There is an icon that is called "Synaptics Pointing Device" at the bottom of the laptop it looks like a computer screen
Click on it and it will have a command "Tap to Click."
That will get the keys working again.
Just fixed the same problem on my Toshiba Laptop. I think I may have clicked it in error .
justme- Oct 19, 2014 at 04:52 PM
Thanks, it was the answer, I should have thought of that but I didn't.
john billy- Nov 24, 2014 at 09:36 AM
scribbler you r really a life saver all above tricks and solution didnt work but u saved my time thankx a lot
Triple j- Nov 29, 2014 at 01:06 PM
Thanks much! Solved the problem!
Anotherlittle1- Dec 5, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Scribbler, your answer was just for me! THANKYOU!!
I knew I had accidentally clicked SOMETHING but couldn't find what it was and none of the other suggestions were working for me.
Thanks for posting your answer and saving me from hours of further frustration and unnecessary work :D
Helpful
+35
plus moins
f5 is for enabling and disabling touch pad on toshiba satellite; however mine would switch back from able to move the pointer to scrolling from object to object while touchpad is enabled. It is annoying. Does that make sense?
tonya- Sep 20, 2014 at 07:40 PM
I have not used my laptop in a week I did not want I was going to have to do...I am glad I googled it and you gave me the answer...thanks again
nj- Sep 27, 2014 at 07:53 AM
Yes it works.thanks.
Babyoftheyar- Oct 2, 2014 at 11:04 PM
Thank YOU!!!!
vinnu- Oct 16, 2014 at 10:07 AM
Thank u so much yaar..i tried alot ...
hydrokitty- Nov 10, 2014 at 03:36 PM
THANK YOU!!!!! I spent all day trying t fix this and called Geek Squad where I actually got someone on the phone who knew LESS about my laptop than I did. Don't know who you are, but I copied your instructions and will nail them to the wall.
Helpful
+18
plus moins
None of these options fix my problem. I know that the f5 key disables and enables it but I have not accidentally hit the key. I have a new laptop have only had it 12 days and only used it 4 times its a brand new laptop not reconditioned, or have ever been used in any way and all of a sudden the cursor will not respond to my touch on the mouse pad. I have had several problems with laptops in the past where its been brand new and something will start going wrong with it the moment I touch them. If any one else has any other possibility as to why my mouse is malfunctioning please let me know.
Helpful
+15
plus moins
None of the above worked. However found out latest windows update, disabled touch pad. Found device settings and clicked enable. The above helped as was able to isolate fault.

Thanks
Helpful
+14
plus moins
FN F9 worked perfectly...thanks so much!
Helpful
+13
plus moins
Hi wat3755,

Please try these generic troubleshooting steps and see if this fixes the issue:

1. Some computers have a touchpad disable and enable hot key, refer to User's Manual of your laptop to see if your computer has this hot key and how to use it. (When your computer does not have the hot key or the hot key did not correct the issue proceed to the next step.)
2. Turn off the computer (when the touchpad does not respond hold the power button down for up to 15 seconds to turn off the computer).
3. Unplug everything except the power cord (AC Adapter).
4. Power on the computer and retest the touchpad. If the touchpad still does not work correctly proceed to the next step.
5. Make sure the latest driver for the touchpad is installed (you may need to use a external USB or Bluetooth mouse to install the drivers).
6. In addition to these troubleshooting steps, please refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base article mentioned below:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/mouse-touchpad-and-keyboard-problems-in-windows

Do reply with results.
sfd- Feb 28, 2014 at 08:52 AM
f5 was fine
shane c- Mar 6, 2014 at 09:54 AM
Life saver
keithy1992- Apr 17, 2014 at 06:39 PM
Thank you control f5 was a lifesaver :)
Moosey- Oct 3, 2014 at 03:37 AM
Excellent holding the button down for 15 seconds reset my touchpad and is working fine. Thank you very much.
Helpful
+7
plus moins
God bless you with this simple solution. I have tried so many alternatives to my disabled touchpad but that didn't work until I stumbled across the f5 resolution. thanks
Helpful
+6
plus moins
F5 by itself worked for me. No FN...no CTRL
Helpful
+6
plus moins
I was beginning to dislike my Toshiba until I finally found this solution. Thank you. I hope that this will fix it permanently.
Helpful
+5
plus moins
F5 worked!!!! thanks
Helpful
+4
plus moins
I tried everything. Pressed F5 and that worked
Helpful
+4
plus moins
f5 worked for me too
Helpful
+4
plus moins
thnxs every1...f5 worked for me too

andy
Helpful
+4
plus moins
Thanks a ton.....
Helpful
+3
plus moins
I have try many things but till not work on my laptop.
I could press left and right but the pad doesnt move. Download a new update for drive, tried F5, Off laptop and F2, F9 and F10.
Javi- Sep 24, 2014 at 11:59 PM
i have faced the same problem..thanks lot Mr Richard...after pressing shift/cntrl+F5 its working... :)
jackal- Oct 20, 2014 at 04:50 PM
thanks fn+f5 work
xyz- Oct 27, 2014 at 07:38 AM
Thanks a ton... it works fine
Anon guy- Oct 27, 2014 at 06:22 PM
Hit CTRL + ALT + DEL .... go to task manager... Go to the synaptic touchpad icon, click or right click.... and press End Task. Your problem should be solved.
saranya- Nov 1, 2014 at 07:59 AM
I have tried everything but it doesn't works
Helpful
+2
plus moins
Thanks buddy, It worked..............!!
Helpful
+0
plus moins
f5 worked thanks. Anyone know what causes the problem?

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?