Windows 8 Headphone jack not working [Solved/Closed]

wtoj34 2 Posts Wednesday February 20, 2013Registration date February 25, 2013 Last seen - Feb 20, 2013 at 03:41 PM - Latest reply:  thaknbyou
- Nov 14, 2017 at 04:06 PM
Hello,

just today I purchased a Windows 8 laptop, (hating windows 8 so far) and my headphones (using the standard headphone jack) do not work. I have been googling like crazy, only to find fixes for Realtek Audio Cards. I have an AMD Audio Card, with fully updated drivers. Thanks in advance all who help, and I hope to be hearing from someone soon.

See more 

121 replies

+172
Helpful
HI
I have another effective solution

For laptop plug out the battery and power then then press power 5 time.
After that plugin power only and test the jack with headphone

For Pc plug out the power then then press power 5 time.
After that plugin power and test the jack with headphone
Was this answer helpful?  
holy crap, it worked. Thanks so much, you saved my sanity
Thank you so much
It is helpful for me
Thank u bro it wrkd. thanks alot
Thank you worked perfectly~
Cant believe it actually worked! wow
Zohaib R 2417 Posts Sunday September 23, 2012Registration date November 12, 2017 Last seen - Feb 25, 2013 at 11:40 AM
+114
Helpful
Hi wtoj34,

This problem might be hardware or software issue. I am providing below the steps to eliminate any software related issue, viz. Drivers Issue. Please uninstall the Audio Drivers from the Device Manager and restart the computer to load generic Windows 8 Drivers. To uninstall the Audio Driver from Device Manager:

1. From the Start screen press the "Windows Key" + X. If you have a mouse, right click the bottom left side of the screen.
2. Select "Device Manager" from the menu that appears.
3. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".
4. Right Click the device listed here.
5. Click "Uninstall".
6. Restart the computer and check if the audio jack is working.

Do reply with results.
My problem is fix on this :
My problem start , becouse I stick the jack and click the Headphone...
THE FIX IS :
--Click on Windows button and search DELL AUDIO--
--Click on Advanced--
--Click Jack Information--
--Check IN the small text on down(Enable auto popup dialog, when device has been plugged in)--
--STICK OUT JACK and Stick in again and click SPEAKER OUT--

I hope I help you !!!
It Worked mahn !! TY
it didnt work for me ;-;
Thanks
I will try
Thankyousomuch~!!!!
hanikam 1 Posts Tuesday February 4, 2014Registration date February 4, 2014 Last seen - Feb 4, 2014 at 07:09 PM
+17
Helpful
HI,

I have a problem with my audio.
when I plug in my headphones it doesn't show in the realtech playback devices.
I tried uninstalling everything under "sound,video,game controller" but nothing happened.
when I plug in my headphones the sound comes from both the speakers and the headphones.

plz anyone can help me solve this problem.

i have an hp pavilion laptop.
WHat you do is you right click the speaker logo and then click on playback devices then right click the speaker and disable it!
Master Martinez - Dec 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM
+15
Helpful
I FOUND A SOLUTION!
(This is for Dell computers/laptops, I don't know about other models though but maybe it can help those others as well)
NO NEED TO UNINSTAL ANYTHING!
I called a Support Tech and they walked me through it!

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS THIS:
--Right Click the music/sound/speaker icon that's on your desktop
--Click on "Sound Manager" tab (it will lead you to Dell Audio a.k.a Maxx Audio 4)
--Click on the "Speaker/Headphone" tab at the top (if you're not already in it)
--Look at the side-tab categories for "Speaker Setup", click on it
--You'll be in Configuration; click on the tab "Headphone Size"
--THERE WILL BE THREE SIZES
---HEADPHONES, click on SMALL
---LAPTOP/COMPUTER itself, click MEDIUM
---When connecting to bigger speakers select LARGE
---OR JUST TRY WHICHEVER SIZE THAT'LL CONFIGURE TO YOUR CONNECTING SPEAKER

Hope people read this and this helps! You're Welcome! (if this helps! Lol)
I have a dell..and I right clicked the sound bar and it didnt say sound manager..
LazyToLearnWin8 - Sep 10, 2014 at 03:39 AM
I right clicked on the "Dell Audio" icon (when on the Desktop screen, at the bottom right close to the date & time, click on the triangle to open some icons. The fancy looking speaker as opposed to the usual one next to the date & time is the "Dell Audio" icon which you want to right click... then follow the steps that Master Martinez outlined. :D)

Thanks a bunch! This helped a lot. :)
+6
Helpful
My problem is fix on this :
My problem start , becouse I stick the jack and click the Headphone...
THE FIX IS :
--Click on Windows button and search DELL AUDIO--
--Click on Advanced--
--Click Jack Information--
--Check IN the small text on down(Enable auto popup dialog, when device has been plugged in)--
--STICK OUT JACK and Stick in again and click SPEAKER OUT--

I hope I help you !!! :)
Zohaib R 2417 Posts Sunday September 23, 2012Registration date November 12, 2017 Last seen - Feb 26, 2013 at 06:44 AM
+5
Helpful
Hi wtoj34,

I am glad to know that the issue has been fixed. Sometimes it's tricky, once we see the Device Manager, we can easily determine the devices in our computer.

Kindly get back if there are any further queries.
What do I uninstall???
Curious_Toaster - Jan 12, 2015 at 08:46 PM
"4. Right Click the device listed here. "

What device?
Zohaib R 2417 Posts Sunday September 23, 2012Registration date November 12, 2017 Last seen - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:39 PM
+5
Helpful
Hi eswar,

You might need the drivers for the Audio Card, please reply with the Device Instance ID of the audio card in your computer. to get the Device Instance ID:

1. Press and hold the Windows Key and then press the R key on the keyboard to launch Run Dialog Box.
2. Type "devmgmt.msc" and hit "Enter".
3. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers" and check what device is listed here. If the sound card is not listed here, expand the "Unknown Devices" and check.
4. Double click the listed Audio Card.
5. Click the "Details" tab.
6. Select Device Instance Path or Device Instance Id (whichever is available for your version of Windows) from the drop down box.
7. Make a note of the Device Instance Path or Device Instance ID and add this in your reply.
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_000B&SUBSYS_10DE0101&REV_1002\5&28B2E37F&0&0001
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2807&SUBSYS_80860101&REV_1000\4&36161A1D&0&0001

Please help me too
Zohaib R 2417 Posts Sunday September 23, 2012Registration date November 12, 2017 Last seen - Jun 30, 2013 at 07:33 AM
+4
Helpful
Hi Mecha,

"IDT High Definition Audio CODEC" is the one you need to uninstall and then restart. Also check under "Other Devices" if any audio device is listed. If so, please uninstall that also.

Do reply with results.
+4
Helpful
Thanks for the help, works fine now :D
+4
Helpful
it worked for few minutes only
Zohaib R 2417 Posts Sunday September 23, 2012Registration date November 12, 2017 Last seen - Jun 21, 2013 at 08:52 AM
+3
Helpful
Hi lina,

What is the exact System Model Number of your Laptop?
Zohaib R 2417 Posts Sunday September 23, 2012Registration date November 12, 2017 Last seen - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:57 AM
+2
Helpful
Hi Mecha,

I am glad to know the issue has been fixed. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further queries.
+1
Helpful
Ello there Zohaib R. I as well am having troubles with my headphone jack, and I have two things under the "Sound, Video and game controllers" tab, those are

AMD High Definition Audio Device
and the
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Are one of these the ones you're talking about or is there another one I need to find / look for and if one of these ARE the ones, do I just uninstall & I'm fine or do I need to uninstall it and look for something else to work with...

Many thanks!
LeanneF 2 Posts Sunday July 21, 2013Registration date July 21, 2013 Last seen - Jul 21, 2013 at 08:44 AM
Hey Zohaib. I'm also having probs with headphone jack, and I have three things under the 'sound, video and game controllers' tab, those are

Bluetooth audio device
intel(R) display audio
realtek high definition audio

so frustrating as its a brand new laptop with windows 8 (which I HATE), one should just be able to plug in headphones and hey presto

Many thanks in advance
Zohaib R 2417 Posts Sunday September 23, 2012Registration date November 12, 2017 Last seen - Jul 22, 2013 at 03:13 AM
Hi LeanneF,

Please follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Double click the "realtek high definition audio".
2. Click the "Details" tab.
3. Select Device Instance Path or Device Instance Id (whichever is available for your version of Windows) from the drop down box.
4. Make a note of the Device Instance Path or Device Instance ID.
5. Now right click one-by-one each of these devices (viz. Bluetooth audio device, Intel(R) display audio and realtek high definition audio) and select "Uninstall".
6. Restart the computer.

Please reply with the Device Instance Path or Device Instance ID that you noted in step 3.

Thanks & Regards
Zohaib R
#iworkfordell
hi.
I'm having the same problem with my speakers. here's the Device Instant Path
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_10250647&REV_1001\4&95598C2&0&0001
Hi I'm having the same problem
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0282&SUBSYS_10280597&REV_1000\4&2AF4EA01&0&0001
hey I am having the same problem and in the divice manager it is showing three options in sound , video and game controllers these are as follows
bluetooth hands free audio
IDT high definition audio codec
itnel(R)display audio
now what to do to rectify my problem and I am using win 8 in my hp dv4 pavallion
Kenda Sucor - Aug 14, 2013 at 01:17 AM
+1
Helpful
Hi Zohaib R,

Having the same trouble. The two things under 'Sound video and game controllers' are 'IDT High Definition Audio Codec' and 'Intel(R) Display Audio.'

I have tried uninstalling the IDT codec and restarting but it is back after the restart and the jack still does not work.

Device instance path for IDT is HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76E5&SUBSYS_103C18FA&REV_1003\4&30150BE&0&0001
and for Intel(R) is HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2806&SUBSYS_80860101&REV_1000\4&30150BE&0&0301

Any help would be most appreciated
bluethreads - Nov 20, 2014 at 11:42 AM
+1
Helpful
I had this problem with my computer at work- after much trial and error I found the solution to be very simple. I went into Sound Manager. In the Speakers tab, to the right it says Analog. to the right above the word analog there is a little folder. I left clicked on that folder. It says "disable jack detection." I clicked on this, and I was instantly able to hear sound from my earbuds on my Dell computer at work!

I hope this helps.
Where I can't find the speakers tab.
please send some pictures.
+1
Helpful
try to visit my site for free @ https://sites.google.com/site/filmword2014/
Zohaib R 2417 Posts Sunday September 23, 2012Registration date November 12, 2017 Last seen - Aug 18, 2013 at 08:20 AM
Helpful
Hi Kenda Sucor,

Try to download the drivers from the below mentioned hyperlink:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76E5&SUBSYS_103C18FA Driver Download

Note: This 3rd party link is exclusively my suggestions based on the personal research and experience. Usage of this link is purely based on your discretion.
Helpful
Hi Zohaib R,

I have the same problem. My windows does not recognize my audio though I have sound card installed.

My Device instance path is:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0887&SUBSYS_10438445&REV_1003\4&1E04230C&0&0001