CD-ROM/DVD Drive won't work (windows 7) [Solved/Closed]

Ask a question filthyjuly 1Posts Wednesday February 20, 2013Registration date February 20, 2013 Last seen - Last answered on May 5, 2017 at 11:18 AM by Dromin1
Hello,
When I put a CD-R or any disc for that matter. it didnt read it. when I went to Start>Computer and double click DVD RW Drive it showed, "please insert disc" as if there was not one in there already. It didnt matter if it is was a blank disc or one with something on it. I recently took a tip from someone and got it to read CD's however I tried putting in a game and it still didnt read it. I really need to get these to work. so I would truly appreciate the help. thank you so much.

See more 
Helpful
+5
plus moins
Hello,

Try this 1

1) Click on the below link and follow the instructions

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en

2) If the problem still exists then try cleaning the drive lens. Click on the below

link and follow the instructions.

http://ccm.net/faq/2917-lens-cleaners

3) Update the firmware.

Good Luck
Was this answer helpful?  
SayianBlood- Jun 25, 2015 at 05:19 AM
Thank you. It worked!!
Dia- Dec 11, 2015 at 03:59 PM
This worked for my computer. It was fast, simple, and fixed the problem without any trouble at all. Thank you!
Dromin1- May 5, 2017 at 11:18 AM
Jack4all Thanks. Second Method Worked For me.
Helpful
+3
plus moins
hi I recently had this problems so if you follow this you will get it back in restart

To begin the process, start the Registry Editor.
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
On Vista machines, Run is accessible through Accessories.
Click the plus sign (+) next to the following folders in the left side of the window pane:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
Class
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Look for any of the following names in the right side of the window pane:
UpperFilters
LowerFilters
If any of the items above are listed, right-click on the item and select Delete.
Be sure to restart your computer after you have deleted the files in the registry.
Open My Computer (XP) or Computer (Vista) and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned.
In some cases, you may need to reinstall some programs such as CD or DVD burning software, iTunes, or Nero

hope this helps
t- Apr 5, 2015 at 11:17 PM
What if they're not lited my computer doesn't have them
marty- Jun 13, 2015 at 03:57 PM
brilliant tried it on my laptop same problem windows7 worked straight away
cosby- Aug 26, 2015 at 03:59 PM
it didnt work on computer windows 7 ultimate
Mar015- Oct 7, 2015 at 07:02 PM
Hi I tried this and restarted my computer. Now my keyboard and mouse aren't working and I can't even login to fix it. Maybe I was in the wrong folder? I should have been more careful...any way to fix this? @dave1969
chouy- Dec 5, 2015 at 01:13 AM
this made my system fail and refused to boot I had to go to a factory reset to get the computer to boot thanks......

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?